Can reservation be cancelled for illegal activities?

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

Can reservation be cancelled for illegal activities?

Someone was trying to do an instant booking and in the message said she was meeting a man to pursue a possible relationship and they would be drinking beer and wine.  She is 18 years old according to her profile which is under age for drinking in Alabama.  The law is clear that even a landlord can be held responsible for underage drinking even if they didn’t provide the drinks.  Can I cancel the reservation without penalty if I know they are planning to break the law and I could be charged?  Not to mention the whole meeting seems off since she seems to be meeting a strange man.  

3 Replies 3
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Carol-Lee1  We don't have Instant Booking enabled but it's my understanding that you can cancel without penalty if there is a valid reason - in this case, the reason would be you don't feel comfortable with this guest. It shouldn't be a problem but if you'd like to be on the safe side, you could contact Airbnb support & speak to someone about it. All ways to contact Airbnb are HERE. I think Twitter gets the fastest response. Hope that helps & best of luck - Karen

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Carol-Lee1 If you keep the correspondence to the messages in Airbnb system, ask them to cancel the reservation to penalties.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree you can cancel the booking and tick the reason that you feel uncomfortable.