Can the customer cancel?

Oxana2
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Can the customer cancel?

If the guest claims that the place is not clean enough and asks for full refund then who the issue can be managed?

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Oxana2 

The issue must be managed first by you (the host). If issue can not be resolved,  the guest can involve Airbnb following the rules for "travel issue" :

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3028/travel-issues-eligible-for-refunds

Oxana2
Level 2

I am trying to manage. But they behave in an aggressive manner, demanding full refund right away. Also they stayed over night without my permission.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Oxana2  Of course a guest can cancel, just as a host can.

Is this a situation where the guest arrived, found it not to be clean and wanted to cancel right away? Or did they stay and then afterwards claim it wasn't clean and demand a refund (a free-stay scammer)? Is the guest lying, or is it possible that it wasn't cleaned properly?

Oxana2
Level 2

Thanks for the reply, since really stressful situation. The customer arrived 1 day earlier then booking time, i allowed them to come earlier and upon arrival they picked some minor issues such as carpet not cleaned. I am out of town and the cleaning company was managing. So they requested the full refund and what to leave , i asked them to initiate the  refund request and then i would approve, they refused and asked me to initiate it first. At the moment they are at the flat, not leaving.

Oxana2
Level 2

They demand me to refund them the money, but i do not have it, it is with airbnb still.  What shall i do?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Oxana2  Tell them that they need to cancel and leave if they find the place unacceptable, at which point the refund process can start. Tell them you will authorize the refund, but that Airbnb deals with the actual refunding, not the  host, as Airbnb still has their money at this point, not you.

If you go out off town, you really need to have a co-host who can deal with guests in residence and check whether the cleaner is doing a good job. And never let guests check in early if the place hasnt been cleaned properly.

Oxana2
Level 2

Thanks Sarah, i told them, but they demand the refund, without which  not willing to leave. I told them that i would  authorize   the refund, but still the woman insists on an immediate refund. So rude and difficult. This is the first time i have the issue with cleaning and  looks that those are minor spots.  She stays at the flat and waits till tomorrow when can communicate to the company. Very aggressive customer. I am worried.

Oxana2
Level 2

Also can she write nasty review after cancelling?  Staying at the house, not answering, demanding the money. Terrible experience. 

Oxana2
Level 2

Looks that i made mistake by being too kind and helpful, now this is the lesson to learn.