Can we make guest sign an eco-pledge before accepting them as guests?

Benjamin614
Level 2
Tulum, Mexico

Can we make guest sign an eco-pledge before accepting them as guests?

Dear Fellow-Hosts,

I am a newbee and like other Airbn-Hosts I am trying to reduce the impact on the environment that our listing and its prospect guests might cause. As hosts we can only try to make every guest/traveler aware of their impact and maybe nudge them into a more eco-friendly behavior. I am new to Airbnb and I am just getting to know system. Hence, I don’t know if this question has already been dealt with:

• Can hosts incorporate a pledge into the Airbnb-Booking masks that guests would have to sign (with a click maybe?) before being allowed to proceed with the booking be it via Instant-or By request?

• What are your experiences with such “eco-pledges” (on paper or online) and what other “guest strategies” have you been able to successfully implement with regard to lower electricity, water usage or reduced waste accumulation (i.e. plastic bottles/trash).

Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions in advance!

Happy Hosting!

2 Replies 2
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>Can hosts incorporate a pledge into the Airbnb-Booking masks that guests would have to sign (with a click maybe?) before being allowed to proceed with the booking be it via Instant-or By request?<<

From a platform point of view, no. But you could add it as a 'rule'.

However: a) most don't read the rules and b) you're likely to narrow down the number of guests clicking your way. Some like-minded souls will play ball, other won't.

As for printing off a form for them to fill in is a bit hypocritical.

Benjamin614
Level 2
Tulum, Mexico

Thanks for the reply. 

Printing Form would be basically an acknowledgement of the "House Rules" with regard to my location. Nothing to fill in. There are already there. 

Maybe someday there could be the option of including a personal requirement which needs to be checked before being able to proceed booking. Its like the little "click" asking a user to have read the "Rules & Regulation" as in any purchase. 

I am aware not many people read them or care but at least its there. And then every host can decide on their cost&balance analysis between making it easier or more difficult for guests to book their property.

I would care so much about a signed pledge if I offer a listing in Berlin or London , although it matters. But being in a nature environment might be a different incentive for guests to comply.

Just talked to another client who searched 4 hourse before deciding on an airbnb in my location. So people take the time to find the best fit.