Can we negotiate with a host on the price?

Stan1
Level 2
Fremont, California, United States

Can we negotiate with a host on the price?

Hi guys,

I love Airbnb and have been recently looking for a nice holiday listing in Tokyo. In the past, I have just assumed the price is firm but I have heard that it is possible to negotiate these prices, especially if you're staying a bit longer than the weekend or so.

Do you guys have any tips/tricks to bring this up to a perspective host? Thanks for your feedback!

161 Replies 161

Sometimes it can get things complicated so make sure you get confirmation through email or paper.

[link removed]

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I'm getting a bit more relaxed about it.  I much prefer to say 'yes' and just offer a very modest discount, explaining the discount structure.   My last discount discussion went like this, when one person arrived a day before the rest in her group and asked to stay in the whole house by herself for 20 Euros. 🙂 

---

Thank you for your inquiry! Yes the dates are available; your stay actually includes the days for Songkran (Thai New Year Festival / Water Festival) so that's an exciting time to be in Chiang Mai. (Check some online videos for what that's like. 🙂 )

Now on Dates & Discounts... (Watch me make this ridiculously complicated. 🙂 :

Your current inquiry is for 7 days which means you get an automatic 10% discount for this booking, as the weekly discount kicks in. If you change your inquiry to 6 days, so excluding the 10th when you're by yourself, then this discount no longer applies but I would indeed give you some discount for the day you stay by yourself, mostly because our previous guests leave on the 9th so there is no way that day would get booked anyway (there is a 3 day minimum stay), so then I'd be much happier to have you stay there than let it be empty.

Even if I do 20 Euros for that night then the 10% weekly discount is still the better price. (I actually checked in Excel just now. 🙂 ) So the short version..: it's better to leave the dates as they are now, and you stay on the 10th. Also we'll pick you up from the airport when you arrive (no charge) and take you to the house to show you everything. Any questions are very welcome of course, also about Songkran and travel in Chiang Mai in general.

---

So she just booked it at the rate shown on the site. 😉

@Stan1

I agree 100% with the hosts that may find this request a "red flag."

Most savvy hosts know their costs, and if you just start offering 50%, they may be paying YOU to stay there (taxes, utilities, cleaning, etc.) and will decline.

The only exception: if you are booking last-minute, and the unit would otherwise go unrented.

In that case, when you contact the host, ask for a reasonable discount (15%) and ask within 4 days of your travel dates.

Also, keep in mind that some hosts already "tweak" their rates for last minute reservations, and may still say no.

Lots of us have 4-9 day reservations as the norm, so don't assume that staying beyond 2 days makes you special . . .

@Stan1

2 other key points for negotiation:

1. This is not an antique store, so don't "point out flaws" in the host's space. That is a quick ticket to the curb. ("Sounds like my space is not for you.") All hosts want happy guests, and if you sound unhappy before you book, well the relationship is not going to get any better. . .

2. Don't assume that the space will be unused if you don't rent it.  We have vacation properties near our hometown, if it doesn't rent we use the space, address maintenance issues, and enjoy the beach!

Exactly. When guests ask for unreasonable and ludicrous discounts, I send them a special offer with a markup of double the price . My response rate and my stats are protected because I didn’t decline. Works both ways 

First, decide if you are a child or an adult.

If you are a child, then "do as you're told" and pay the host's asking price, no questions asked, no talking back.

However, if you are an adult, then you know that everything in life is negotiable. Home price. Car price. Pre-nup. And most of all, rental rate.

So be an adult. ALWAYS NEGOTIATE. The host cannot force you to be a powerless child. No "take it or leave it" offers. It's your money. You have the power. Or their rental stays empty (just because of a few dollars, and that is a terrible feeling of missed opportunity for them).

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello @John0

It is NOT a feeling of missed opportunity for me as a host, but a great opportunity for not to have to share my space with such an entitled guest.......cheerio, Auf Weidersehn, Au revoir.......have a nice day somewhere else!

Yes, everything is negotiable.

Personally, I have had some guests try to negotiate on pricing or terms of stay. If it's possible and reasonable, I would consider it. It would also depend on your pricing strategy and also demand in the area. If my property is almost always full, I would not really consider someone asking me for a discount because it would be otherwise empty anyway. That negotiation tactic might work for a property with low demand and high pricing strategy.

It can be amusing at times when someone tries to negotiate a lower pricing and the next moment I receive an instant booking at my asking rate.

Oh, and generally, guests who negotiate are the worse kind.

Dave107
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Hi All,

I wouldn't ask someone with a popular rental for a discount but looking in Medellin I see some listings with no reviews and an empty calendar. This seems like an opportunity for both landlord and tenant. I am a real estate agent and everything is negotiable in home sales. It's not worth it to me to negotiate on a short term rental (1-5 days) but if I'm staying a month that's a big risk if I book something with no reviews. Thoughts? Always looking for a win/win.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Another entitled individual?

Sorry my self respect and leave of mind is NEVER negotiable......cheerio!

@Dave107You are really guessing about the motivations of the host; and so keep in mind potential assumption flaws if/when you ask for a discount.

-If a host is new to AirBNB, and committed to short-term stays, then even a host with no reviews will likely say "no" to a month long stay. A long term guest delays their ability to have 5-10 groups of people come and go, review the property, and get their reputation rolling.

-New hosts generally already have lower prices, hoping to attract those willing to stay at an unreviewed property. So asking for a further discount could be too much.

-Hosts who are open to discounts for longer stays can already pre-set a "monthly" discount. Look for these people.

-Don't assume that just because the calendar is "open" the host isn't using the home. Don't assume that just because the calendar is open the host is desperate for money, or the home will go to waste. All of these assumptions are often untrue.

-As many, many experienced hosts have noted, aggressive negotiation is usually flagged by experienced hosts as a "red flag" guest (unable to be pleased) and most will simply say no and be done with you.

The most succinct advice: pigs get fat, hogs get slaughered.

Kayla12
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I've successfully negotiated rates. I've simply and politely just asked. The worst thing someone can say is no. It was usually a 10%-20% discount. I wouldn't send an insulting offer like 50%. Some hosts have agreed and some politely declined. If I noticed open availability for the property, my chances were much better. If it's a pretty popular property which is seemingly always booked, might not get a discount. My advice is to ask nicely and prepare an acceptable offer.