Can we negotiate with a host on the price?

Stan1
Level 2
Fremont, California, United States

Can we negotiate with a host on the price?

Hi guys,

I love Airbnb and have been recently looking for a nice holiday listing in Tokyo. In the past, I have just assumed the price is firm but I have heard that it is possible to negotiate these prices, especially if you're staying a bit longer than the weekend or so.

Do you guys have any tips/tricks to bring this up to a perspective host? Thanks for your feedback!

161 Replies 161
Chaco0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

If all bookings need to be negotiated first, then hosts will start setting prices higher, This is not efficient and degrades Airbnb to a service akin to buying a souvenir on a street market.

I only entertain lower offers if there are circumstances that reduce the cost by the host. Like late check-in, fewer guests, etc..

Some guests think it is ok to ask all hosts for discounts.....NO JUST NO.   Look at their calendar and  see how booked they are.  If they are busy over next few months i suggest not asking but if wide open go aheadand ask politely for a discount   But as the guest AJ suggests just ask all hosts for a discount.  He thinks nothing to lose...Oh but there is...I will automatically decline guests asking for a discount because i am 95% booked all year round!  If the place you are really interested in is very frequently booked do NOT insult them by asking for discount.  They are obviously supplying good value for the price they charge.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Well, wouldn't go so far as to decline anyone who asks if there's discounts to be had.  Usually my reply is "Yes, " ...  (I like starting replies with Yes even when what follows is pretty much "No"), so "Yes I have discounts set up for weekly and monthly stays, as well as last minute discounts for days that are still open.  If you plug in your dates you'll see this discount added automatically by the AirBnB site.". 

And then occasionally I give some disocunt for a 6 day stay that's just 1 day short of the weekly rate.  Something like 5%, just so that I can start with 'Yes'. 😉

Hi Jill. My senerio is that my nephew is coming to town so I booked an airbnb for him.  He later informs me that his dauther is also coming, so I sent a message that there will be a second person. The price jumped up an additional $189 for four nights.  This put me out of my price point as I have already paid over $300. What would be a polite way to ask for a little price break for the second person.  She is 18 yrs old, and i really want my nephew to come as i have not seen him in years.  Any advice?

Thank you for your time.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Aj0, I don't see you as a guest nor a host as your profile is blank with no reviews etc, how can you make this comment? Who are you?

We are punished for declining bookings, so when we have to decline people asking for discounts we do not wish to give, you think this is still best practise?

I have had guests saying ''but it is low season'' in peak season. I already discount the days I wish to sell cheaper (short notice, one day gaps). I do not want to decline anybody. Don't ask. I will offer if I see fit.

@Sandra126

I would imagine he is busy negotiating his discounted AirBnB Booking fee.

I use IB so just pre approve and move on.

David
Aj0
Level 3
New South Wales, Australia

@Sandra0. My profile not syncing on Airbnb is not my promblem. What comment when? I do not know when I was last on the community platform. I have been a super host for 3 years and never declined a guest. Perhaps you have misunderstood. I am currently travelling in Marrakech and staying in a Riad on the Airbnb platform. I find your delivery innaproptiate. Yours the pity if you cannot accept a difference of opinion. Shame Daylesford I have been to many times and one of my favourite places in Australia Thanks Allan
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hi @Aj0,

I only asked who you were???

Good for you that you never have declined. However, the system must picked up a totally different AJ. Wasn't writing to you at all! Enjoy Marrakech. Visit Daylesford any time!

Tina80
Level 4
Treasure Island, FL

Wrong ! I decline every guest who ask for a discount . It’s offensive ! If you don’t think it’s worth what I am asking from the start how will that guest rate me on the value category ? Not well . My bank account is NEVER empty . 

Uta3
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

As a host I totally disagree. My experience with people asking for discounts is that even if you grant them one they will find things to make them feel unhappy, its always the cheapskates that end up writing bad reviews. So my answer is now: if you have a set budget then Airbnb has an efficient price filter to show you homes that you can afford. Has served me very well. 

Kika1
Level 8
Kloten, Switzerland

Respectfully, I think you might be who the OP is referring to when he makes reference to "naive."  (Americans)

I get discounts on EVERYTHING you said you don't including Flight tickets, tourist attractions, restaurants, and much more!  If you don't feel comfortable asking for discounts, I'd love to do business with you since everyone in my businesses almost always ask for a discount or expects a competitive price upfront.

No offense is meant nor I hope is taken. It's nothing personal or meant to be insulting. I find several places I like and make an offer at my favorite. If they accept, it's a deal. If not, it's a free market. I can go elsewhere and you can go find that tenant/customer who isn't so savvy or in the know.

*Exception to the rule: If someone is being VERY reasonable upfront or I concede is lawballing themselves upfront, I don't ask for any reductions. Even I think that is insulting.... but I mean he was being very reasonable upfront. No need to haggle.

People who always pay full price cause inflation. 

I have only on two occasions granted a discount; one was a woman whose (supposed) intention was to visit a friend in a nursing home; she gave me a sad story that she lost her job. I gave her a discount on a 14 day stay but as it turned out she was just here to sleep with her hospitalized friend's stud brother IN MY HOUSE. Together with the help of Airbnb I threw her out. BTW, she was also plugging me to live with me becaue she felt I was an older woamn who shouldn't live alone and she could stay because she had a green card. The second was a young 4th year medical student who wouidl be doing rotations in Tampa.  Another sad story I went for. I granted him a discount and then I got an email that he would also be bring along his wife. I immediately retracted my offer. He sent me a nasty text message...I sent him a sweet one back that he needed to learn the sytem before shooting off his mouth (we certainly don't need anothe know-it-all doctor - this world already has enough of them)....he sent me a note of apology. End of discounts!!! 🙂

LOL! You just gotta love those guests that ruin it for the rest of them.

@Maged0.  My day job is running an estate jewelry store and people feel free dicker all the time.  They ask the best price and I double the price...best price for whom?  They back down for the most part. My best customers never ask for a discount and marking things up so yahoos can feel they got a deal is not the commerce I want to participate in. 

I find it tacky to bargain for a set, reasonable price on anything.  If this is a regular issue for you, then raise your off-season price 10 a day and give them 8 a day off...or some such.