Can we negotiate with a host on the price?

Stan1
Level 2
Fremont, California, United States

Can we negotiate with a host on the price?

Hi guys,

I love Airbnb and have been recently looking for a nice holiday listing in Tokyo. In the past, I have just assumed the price is firm but I have heard that it is possible to negotiate these prices, especially if you're staying a bit longer than the weekend or so.

Do you guys have any tips/tricks to bring this up to a perspective host? Thanks for your feedback!

161 Replies 161

Hi Amy,

I certainly respect your opinion and I don't disagree with it where i relates to bargain hunters. We're lucky though. If clients are only relying on price then there are a lot of different options to choose from in the hospitality idustry. What you're also offering is an intangible for a great vacation.

My idea is to not to sound so harsh when you're refusing a client. Wouldn't it be better to get what you want, while allowing the client to feel like thet're getting what they want? Since we are in the hospitality industry then the image that we want to portray is one of accomodation.

An example. Someone wants to negotiate a rate and I'll come back with two week packages. I'm not reducing my rate but I'm letting the client know that we do have discounts for longer term stays. And I do have a 10% discount for multi week reservations (during low season). Build a price package and stick to it. Smile and try to show the client that they're the most important thing and that you really wish that it was in your power to help them but that, unfortunately, for your house your costs will not allow you to reach their price point.

You can't please everyone but you have to show an accomodating image. And I'll go further than that. Your own mindset has to be in that direction as well.

I appreciate that you have another business to rely on as a frame of reference. So do I. I have a 250 employee telecom company with a thirty person sales force. I can't imagine my sales reps telling a potential client to take a hike (in nicer terms of course) because the client took the time to like your product. Now he/she has to decide on whether or not it fits in their budget. And if it doesn't this time then you may have a potential client in the future. And if that client was never meant to be because you're totally out of their price range then there's nothing personal. All they did is ask.

Your mindset will mirror your responses.

I'm not trying to be critical but I'm trying to highlight that our state of mind is important in a successful business venture. And if there's no deal then there's no deal but we should still appreciate that client's effort in reaching out. 

This will help you to appreciate your business and your guests as well!

Thanks,

Maged

50%  off is better than nothing, no?  Maybe it's not.  In which case you could decline.  I can't believe the sense of entitlement displayed in these responses.  Hotels provide discounts all the time, especially for last minute travelers.  Are you folks looking to make some money or prove some sort of point?  If it's the latter you are, as they say, cutting off your nose to spite your face.  

Menka0
Level 1
Villeurbanne, France

Dear Helga,
The problem is when you say "in this business". It is nor supposed to be one. You're supposed to be renting your own appartment, so the margin is way more than 50%.

@Lisa I often wondered if so many people book places at the last minute because they think hosts discount. A lot of my bookings are last minute.  I don't discount at the last minute. I am pretty much always full so maybe thats why I can do this. Sometimes if I am tired I put the prices up last minute. 

Lisa0
Level 6
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Margaret0 I've been booked solid since last February but bookings took a nose dive a few weeks ago for all of us in Edinburgh. This is the first time I've done last minute discount. Normally I wouldn't entertain it but I need the £.

I'm the same as you in that I don't want a long term lodger. Short and sweet works a treat for me. 

I've currently got someone in outside of Airbnb and I'm really feeling irritated. He is the Son of my friends friend in Aberdeen that needed aa place at the last minute until he finds a permanent flat. He's been here for 2 nighs and still hasn't paid me!!! He was supposed to leave the money for me on Wednesday night when he retuned from work as I was already in bed. I woke up yesterday to no money. I've not seenhim since his arrival on Wednesday. He got a job in the bar in the poshest hotel in town so returns late. I'm going to leave it until the last possible minute today before I leave for work in the hopes of catching him to ask about the money( moreso to tell him he needs to pay or go). I only offered for 10 mights and after that he's supposed to check in my pals flat until he finds a perm flat. Which she will now not take him unless he pays me today. The situation now raises a few red flags as I have info I didn't have before: 

1) his Mum said flatmate let him down at the last minute and created this emergency. Upon his arrival it was a slightly different story in that he was living in a flat for a month, owner sold it and he waited until 12 hours before having to vacate to find somewhere. Not being from Edinburgh he doesn't realise how very difficult it is to find a decent affordable place. My back went right up when I found out he waited until 12 hours before having to move to find somewhere. Wtf? Who does that? 

2) there is a flat on the next street over that's an absolute bargain for the price, I told him to jump on the agents for a viewing as it will rent right away. Now I find out he phoned my friend yesterday who he's supposed to stay with from the 14th and said that although he had a flat viewing, he thought that staying at hers from the 14th was a better option than him taking his own flat. Both of us are scratching our heads over this. He'd be paying a lot more in short term rent than he would for his own flat. Who would do that for a city they plan to stay in permanently as other permanent cheaper options are available? Hmmmm, me smells a rat. 

I will message him today that I need him to pay up or checkout. Fortunately I have his Mum's info so I'll go right to her unless he pays today. I wish he would get up out of bed so I can just bloody ask him! I've advised my friend to keep her Airbnb calendar open until at least with me this gets resolved. So much for trying to help someone out!! 

Lisa0
Level 6

@Margaret0 holy moly, you're right! I didn't remember that this was on the travelling and not hosting group. Apologies all. 

I deleted my answer and started a new thread under hosting @Lisa0L. Might have got the wrong Lisa

Why negotiate when there are plenty of price points.  For example, in my city there are listings here for $20/night or $160/week.  I do find it offensive when someone trys to negotiate my listing by offering $20.  I don't take the offer because there are other really wonderful hosts that list for $20-29/night.  They can go there but not my home.  

@Regina0, @AJ

exactly, they are whining at you because they want to stay in your house or flat. They can either afford it or they cant. I just had a mother want me to dicount my monthly rate...which is already discounted 25%,  by 2/3 more.  I recommended a university hostel nearby.

Ihave given discounts to acedemis for long stays....but not to the degree people request.  Think of it this way....what would be your reaction if your boss requested you take a 20% pay cut because he wanted to go on vacation?

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Lisa0

What was the end result of this story - did he pay up or did you kick him to the kerb? I've taken a couple of private bookings (business acquaintances via my accountant) but have always taken money right up front on check-in.

Lisa0
Level 6

Hi Maxine,

He stayed for 5 days and paid at the end, although he was never there as was staying at his girlfriends. The whole thing was so strange and I was totally screwed on 5 nights as I had Airbnb calendar blocked to accommodate him and he let me know on his last day that he decided to stay at girlfriends for a few weeks. This was a Monday evening so I had no chance of getting a booking for the week. He apologised a lot for being such a flake but I was still screwed over. 

Payment before they cross the threshold from now on, regardless of how many people we have in common! He was going to the bank that first day but then I never saw him until the Monday. 

Thanks for checking:-) 

Before AirBnb I was a landlord.

Anyone asking to "negotiate" with me must be prepared to offer something of equal or better value to me. Otherwise,  what do I tell my other guests who are paying as posted?

As a previous Bed and Breakfast owner we never took offense if our guest try to negotiate.  We are the ones who can say yes or no.  That is what being in business is all about.  Pleasing our guest and remaining happy as well.

As a host, I would not give discount on "last minute" bookings as it is more tedious for me to handle "last minute" enquiries and requests and whatever else the guest needs.