Can you host short term rentals if you do not own the property?

Can you host short term rentals if you do not own the property?

I am interested in short term renting in a corporate/ sublease. I am having a very hard time with the local regulations and wondering if there is a better streamlining information. 
‘thank you,

Tania

6 Replies 6
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Tania698 

Neither your profile nor post specify where you are based so it's kind of impossible for anyone to comment on local regulations.

In general though, it's usually agains the terms of a lease to sublet without express permission from the landlord/owner of the property and, in some locations, actually illegal, so that's the first thing I would look into if I was you.

Thank you, I am located in Sacramento California. I look at the regulations but seems to be vague for subletting or corporate housing for each city.
May I ask how the rules and regulations are in the UK?

Thanks again, 

Tania

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Tania698 

I know nothing about regulations in your area, but perhaps other hosts there will be able to advise.

My point was less about the regulations surrounding STR and more about subletting without your landlord's permission, which I am sure is not permitted in most locations. In the UK, it is illegal to sublet without the landlord's permission or if it is stated as prohibited in your tenancy agreement (have you checked this?).

In addition, in London there is a 90 day rule which means that you cannot let and entire unit for more than 90 nights per year. After that, Airbnb will block the rest of the calendar. Many local governments, especially in cities, around the world, have in place restrictions or even bans on STR such as Airbnb, so I would tread very carefully before doing this.

However, the very first thing you need to do is to get your landlord's permission. Even if it is not mentioned in the lease, I'm pretty sure you cannot sublet without this and Airbnb also states that it's the host's responsibility to do so.

Thank you so much for your help. Question, in the UK if you were to rent out an apartment but only be able to host for 90 days, how do you pay for the rest of the year? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In the UK the majority of landlords ban 1) using the property for business purposes 2) sub-letting so not many landlords would allow you to use their property for you to sub-let to do STRs

If you got a landlord to sublet you would then need to check STR regulations and be in a position to pay rent and all bills whether you had bookings coming in to cover or not.

Why not rent a room in your home to learn the ropes - much easier.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Tania698   What does your lease say about subletting?  Many leases/landlords who permit subletting spell out in the lease the parameters of the sublet, including duration , additional contracts, payment, insurance,etc.  So what does your lease say?