Can you transfer a property listing?

Lindsay323
Level 1
Duluth, MN

Can you transfer a property listing?

Hello! My fiancé and I run an Airbnb in the lower part of our house (think duplex style). We are going our separate ways but would like to continue renting out the space still. However here is my issue… On Airbnb, The listing is in my name only, but the property itself and licensing through the city is in his name along with the funds getting directly deposited into his account. Is there a way to transfer the listing and all standing Reservations into a new account under his name or do we need to completely take the listing off of my account, start another one and contact all of the guests?

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you can't transfer your listing to another profile. If you could the system would be open to abuse and dodgy hosts with bad reviews would just open up multiple profiles.

Why don't you just add him as a co-host and split the payments @Lindsay323 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lindsay323,

I recommend that you look into getting a separate tax ID for the Airbnb business, because if you follow @Helen3's suggestion about sharing the money, you will continue to have the sole responsibility for the income tax on the Airbnb earnings, but get only half of the money.

I agree that he should be a co-host if he still has a vested interest in the rental space.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would a host have sole responsibility for  a co-hosts tax?  If she does as I suggested, the host is responsible for their tax and the co-host is responsible for theirs. @Debra300 

As it says in Airbnb's T&Cs for co-hosts......

The Tax sections of the TOS and Payments Terms (including the provisions relating to Taxes, Occupancy Tax Collection and Remittance, Opt-in to Host Remittance of Taxes, and Miscellaneous Occupancy Tax Provisions) remain unchanged and apply to the Co-Host Service.

In addition, as a Co-Host, you understand and agree that you are solely responsible for complying with any and all applicable tax obligations that may apply to your activities as a Co-Host, and for determining your applicable Tax reporting requirements. You are also solely responsible for remitting to the relevant authority any Taxes included or received by you. Airbnb does not offer Tax-related advice.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Helen3,

Only one SSN/Taxpayer ID is associated with each Airbnb account.  Since @Lindsay323 was the person who set up the Airbnb account, she is responsible for the income tax associated with the Airbnb earnings.

A couple of years ago Airbnb discontinued offering split payouts to co-hosts: https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/news-about-the-co-hosting-split-payout-feature-87.  Currently, the work around is for hosts to set up multiple payout methods, and one of them can be the bank account of the co-host.  However, the Airbnb Earnings Statement will still be only associated with the SSN/Taxpayer ID listed with the Airbnb account.  

If @Lindsay323 were to form a partnership with her fiancee, and obtain a Taxpayer ID, all profits and losses would be passed through to the partners, and each partner would report their share of the income or loss on their personal income tax return.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Think it depends which country you are in. We don't have any issues in the UK splitting taxes. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Helen3,

You are correct.  I provided @Lindsay323 information that came from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, and not from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs office or Canada Revenue Agency, because her property is located in Minnesota.