Canceled reservation

The-Pvkid0
Level 2
United States

Canceled reservation

Let me start that I have a Strict cancelation policy.

I had a guest cancel a reservation 5 hours before check-in.  Airbnb paid me the day after scheduled check-in just like they normally do. Two days later they took the money back from me. When all called them the said the guest had extenuating circumstances and they gave the money back to the guest.

I reminded them that I have a Strict cancelation policy, and they told me they are within their right to cancel ANY reservation and refund the money. 

My question is why does Airbnb even have a cancelation policy if they can override it anytime they feel like it. 

Another thing I find strange is they said they refunded the guest so they do not have the money to pay me. If the guest gives the money back to Airbnb they will then pay me. This was MY money that they gave back to the guest. I followed all the rules I held the condo open for the guest  I did not rent it to anyone else, I did everything I was supposed to do, I am not the one that broke the rules or cancelation policy, why am I the one getting punished for it?

Let me finish but saying I am a Superhost with 33 properties listed on Airbnb, I do a lot of business with Airbnb. Is this the way they treat everyone?

This really does not give me much confidence in Airbnb, they seem to want to play by their rules and their rules only.

4 Replies 4

@The-Pvkid0 it is extremely frustrating for the host to choose a cancellation policy, and then have it ignored in the case of Extenuating Circumstances. The full refund comes out of the host's pocket, yet it is Airbnb who decides when the refund is given out.

This is a story that has happened many times, and it is frustrating to hear about each time.

Many cancellations are *not* extenuating circumstances. That is why Airbnb allows you to choose which cancellation policy they will later override.

The-Pvkid0
Level 2
United States

I have had people cancel before and I always work out a deal with them.  Sorry to say because of this it will never happen again, I will take the money every time I do not get hit with Extenuating Circumstances.

@The-Pvkid0

You will eventually get hit with this, probably best to think of it as a cost of doing business through AirBnB, we all find it annoying, now my bookings are short, not individually significant,  so I can manage my risk.

David
Jamie168
Level 3
Kamloops, Canada

I’ve had the same problem. I think that if the extenuating circumstance happens within 24 hours of the reservation Airbnb should pay the guest back, Not us hosts. At least we might have a chance to rebook if we have 1 days notice. Airbnb makes ALOT of money off hosts (especially someone with 33 properties!) I definitely think this is something they should deal with since they are the ones offering a full refund for extenuating circumstances.