Canceling Reservation of Guests Violating House Rules

Josh9
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Canceling Reservation of Guests Violating House Rules

Hi Community, I have some new guests that have already violated some House Rules (smoking/drinking and congregating on the front porch/sidewalk, which for various reasons is not OK in my very quiet and busybody neighborhood). 

Question: if I cancel the reservation during their stay, do the guests get a pro-rated refund of unused days? I can't find information on this anywhere. On the one hand, it seems fair that they get a refund. On the other hand, it seems unfair because there's no way I can make up that money, because it's unlikely I'll find a new guest immediately to take their place. Also, this scenario allows a guest to get out of a reservation early by just violating a House Rule that would cause me to immediately cancel. Like suppose they decided to blast music all night long and refused to turn it down, or did something else intolerable.

If anyone knows the answer, please respond! If you can point me to something written on this website, even better! Thanks...Josh

3 Replies 3
Jay57
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Extreme case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vubc4TcGSYE

Best advice I receive so far:
- Never host for long period of time at one guest,
- Never leave a bad reviews,

- Never cancel a booking.

Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

You need to message the guests using the Airbnb platform. State clearly which rules they are violating and ask for compliance. Give a few hours notice and then if they continue in this behavior, you notify Airbnb. If you cancel you will be penalized. Let Airbnb sort it out with them. Tell them you want the guests removed for the violations. Everything shold be communicated through the platform so there is a message trail which can be accessed for back up.

M20
Level 2
New York, NY

@Josh9  I agree.  Send guests an initial message to create a paper trail.  Indicate the house rules that they have broken, how often and the numbers of occasions you have spoken to them about not breaking house rules.  Literally copy paste your house rules in the message.  If they continue, send another message to them and then call Airbnb.  Guests agree to house rules at time of booking.  If they break the house rules, they will be asked to leave without penalty to the guest.  Make sure to document the rule breaking as much as possible for your own sake as you will be asked to prove it.  Ie, take a picture of them hanging out outside, etc.