Canceling and Rebooking after 48 Hour Period

Becca30
Level 2
United States

Canceling and Rebooking after 48 Hour Period

Hello, on Sunday night I booked a condo. Yesterday I asked the host via Airbnb messaging if we could change to 3 nights as we realized it would be easier to stay near the park the 1st night then stay the next 3 nights at his place. We’re past the strict 48 hours after booking time. Host is agreeable and asked me to cancel then rebook once he changes it to a minimum 3 night booking instead of 4. This was by voicemail and text. His understanding is that the 48 hours refers to the arrival date and that we’re fine to cancel now without punishment or being charged again at rebooking. 

I believe he has nothing but good intentions as he’s only canceling because of my request that he doesn’t even have to honor, but I’m worried he won’t be able to override the Airbnb policies? Should I get his agreement in the Airbnb chat just in case? I feel bad bothering him because I know he’s trying to help me when he doesn’t have to I’m just afraid of getting screwed. 

He also said the Airbnb just sold like today but new owners are honoring all bookings. Is this normal? 

how should I proceed?? Thanks!!

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Becca30 

The host can change the current reservation ("change" option) from 4 to 3 nights.

Thanks!  When I request to change the booking from my end it tells me “this listing can only be booked for a minimum of 4 nights”. 

Can he still change it from 4 to 3 even though he has his minimum set at 4 nights? He seems to think the reservation needs to be canceled 1st and that he can’t change it until I do?

@Becca30 the host might be willing to refund you, but there is no guarantee he will, and he can't make Airbnb refund their service fees. He can change his minimum stay for those nights and then send you an alteration request (or you can send one to him).

But no, it is not normal for a new host to take over an established listing and its reservations. In fact Airbnb terms of service specifically prohibit this and Airbnb makes it very hard to violate that rule.  It sounds like he doesn't know much about Airbnb so he, and the new owner, may not know this and they will be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Unless you are really, really set on staying in this particular place, I would tell him that you are uncomfortable with the sale plan and ask him to cancel the reservation for you. If he won't do that, I would call Airbnb and ask for a penalty-free cancellation on the grounds that the property no longer belongs to the host. Then I would find another place to stay.

This makes sense why he’s wanting me to cancel, he needs me to cancel because of the sale to the new owner, or maybe he doesn’t know that. I’m thinking we may just cancel, who knows what new owners will be like. And yes he seems to not know much about Airbnb. At this point there’s only one other Airbnb available on our list for our dates. 

This info was so helpful, I had no idea it was prohibited. I requested he cancel it so we’ll see. He said he doesn’t want us to have to pay a penny and will address it in the morning. I did reach out to the one other place we liked and she invited me to book, so I have until tomorrow night to decide. I’m not sure if someone else can swoop in and book those dates before me in the meantime? The Airbnb rep was very helpful and when she called me back to say she hadn’t heard from the host I told her about the sale and she was going to speak to him about canceling and refunding. I’m hoping he’ll cancel soon instead of in a few weeks after it closes, by then our cottage may not be available! 

@Becca30 yes, someone else can swoop in and book those dates. Don't simultaneously book two places at once for the same dates. If you do you will lose any right you have to get your service fees back on cancellation.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2868/airbnb-guest-refund-policy

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Becca30 

The host can change it to 3 nights and you will be refunded 1 night (But you as a guest can not perform the change due to the 4 nights minimum).

It is nonsense to cancel a reservation first and then rebook, just because of a small change.

You also will loose money.

Educate the host:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/as-a-host-how-do-i-make-a-change-to-a-confirmed-reservation

@Emiel1 the host would have to change his minimum stay for those dates before he will be able to send an alteration request.