Cancellation Due to Covid-19

Jeff1651
Level 2
Denver, CO

Cancellation Due to Covid-19

How do you actually talk to someone at airbnb?  I have a member of my party that tested positive for COVID-19 and I have contacted my host.  They directed me to Airbnb, but I am unable to find any contact information. The Contact page on the website just leads you in circles back to the online help. 

7 Replies 7
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jeff1651 

You have to keep clicking "it's something else..."

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Be prepared to wait.

I believe you should just be able to cancel your reservation and select the option that you are cancelling due to COVID-19.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/169/how-do-i-cancel-my-reservation-for-a-place-to-stay

Thanks @Lisa723 - fortunately my host was very helpful and said they would refund the full the amount.   I get that it is expensive for airbnb to have customer service, but just obscuring the information isn't helpful.  Thanks again, glad the community is here to help. 🙂

@Jeff1651 no argument from me. Airbnb's approach seems to be to deflect requests for help as much as possible and hope users will either give up or find free help here. 😉

@Lisa723 I think that is it!  Thanks again.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeff1651  Just because the host says they will refund the full amount doesn't mean they will. It isn't up to the host to provide refunds when you cancel- it's an automated Airbnb process. Hosts don't have your money- Airbnb does. Hosts get paid 24 hours or more after the guest checks in.

Your host may be honest and trustworthy but several guests have reported that the host said they would cancel and refund and then changed their mind.

Cancel the reservation yourself, citing COVID as the reason. Make sure you see an official cancellation on your account. If you don't get a full refund, then you'll have to contact Airbnb to inform them that the host said they would refund 100%.

Metka3
Level 2
Radomlje, Slovenia

Hi, I have also nearly the same problem, so please help me to decide what to do!

In my country Slovenia, due to the Covid 19 rules issued by the government, all hosts have to be closed and we also don't know the end date. The situation in the country is not improving at all, so we do not expect an opening. I have one reservation for Dec. 21. 2020. Who must cancel a reservation, host or guest, so that there will be no penalty for either side?

Kind regards from Slovenia   Metka

I think you should get a copy of your country's regulation and contact Airbnb with it to show that you aren't allowed to host. Then ask Airbnb to cancel the reservation with no penalties to you and no loss of payment to the guest. @Metka3