Cancellation Misleading

Jamie759
Level 1
Queen Creek, AZ

Cancellation Misleading

I booked a trip on March 9, 2021 for June 6-11 in  the Bahamas. I ended up cancelling the reservation 3 days later on March 13th after finally receiving reserving covid requirements from the host. At the time of cancelling it said I would be receiving $1,303 back which excludes fees. 
I sent Airbnb a message asking for the money back but they are saying because I didn’t pay in full and it’s strict cancellation policy I do not get money back. The policy does not say a customer won’t get money back if you pay half and cancel 3 months before. 

Customer service is horrible and doesn’t provide live agent conversations. 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jamie759  You didn't read the cancellation policy thoroughly, because it states that cancellation refunds are based upon the total cost of the nightly booking fee. 

So whether you paid for the entire reservation when you booked or chose the pay half up front option, you are due back 50% of the total cost of the booking. If you only paid 50% to start with, you don't get anything back.

Paying half to start with is simply a convenience for the guest, so you don't have to pay for the entire booking at once. It has no bearing on the cancellation policy.

Strict

• Free cancellation for 48 hours, as long as the guest cancels at least 14 days before check-in (time shown in the confirmation email)
  • After that, guests can cancel up to 7 days before check-in and get a 50% refund of the nightly rate  and the cleaning fee, but not the service fee.

You read that part I put in italics? 50% of the nightly rate, not 50% of what you paid up front.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

,If you're still interested in taking a Bahamian holiday, try contacting the host to see if they consider letting you apply your non-refunded amount to another stay, maybe a full week.

The entry requirements for the Bahamas has been recently revised, and it's much easier for fully vaccinated travelers:  

• Effective May 1, 2021, visitors travelling to The Bahamas from other countries who are fully vaccinated and have passed the two-week immunity period will be exempted from COVID-19 testing requirements for entry and inter-island travel.
  • Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to upload valid proof of vaccination (such as CDC or government issued vaccine record card) in lieu of PCR test requirement.
  • For international travellers, proof of vaccination must confirm they have passed the two-week immunity period.
  • At this time The Bahamas Government will only be accepting vaccines by Pfizer Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca

ALL TRAVELLERS: VACCINATED AND UNVACCINATED

• As part of the Bahamas Travel Health Visa application, travellers will be required to opt-in to COVID-19 health insurance that covers them for the duration of their stay in The Bahamas. The cost of insurance is included in the Bahamas Travel Health Visa application fee. 
    • Bahamas Travel Health Visa applications take up to 48 hours to process and should be completed with adequate lead time.
    • All travellers eighteen (18) years of age and older are required to complete an individual Bahamas Travel Health Visa.
    • Persons seventeen (17) years and younger are to add a profile within the account of their parent or guardian.

@Jamie759