Cancellation & Refund

Answered!
Mari20
Level 2
Cebu City, Philippines

Cancellation & Refund

Yesterday, I requested to book a room, but it says I can't complete my "Request to book" if I don't verify my ID, I also asked the host if she received my Request, she said NO. So I just cancelled the request. And it didn't deduct my money in my account. Today, I tried to book a room again, which is "Instant Book", I am done inputting my info for the payment, and I clicked "I agree" and the "Continue", it said again that I should verify my ID. So I was thinking that it won't deduct from my account just like what happened yesterday, I clicked Cancel Request, but it directly cancelled my request, it didn't ask what is the reason why (which most cases they will ask you first why and show you some reasons). When I check my Account, there, it already deducted the amount, and it didn't even Email me about the cancellation. I am afraid I won't get my refund. 😞 Anything I can do to get the refund please? Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Mari20 You will need to contact Airbnb directly so they can look at your account.  Unfortunately this forum is not staffed by Airbnb.  Click on the link below to see all the ways you can get in touch.

View Best Answer in original post

46 Replies 46
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Mari20 You will need to contact Airbnb directly so they can look at your account.  Unfortunately this forum is not staffed by Airbnb.  Click on the link below to see all the ways you can get in touch.

Hi!

I've booked apartment from September,20,2016.

And want to cancel reservation ( Strict)

AirBNB does not explains in correct way:

What I will get if cancel 30 days prior ?

Only "Strict: 50% refund up until 1 week prior to arrival, except fees"

But I am not cancelling 1 week prior to arrival.

But 30 days prior to arrival.

Question:

if cancelled prior 30 days - what the refund will be?

@Vasili0 With the Strict cancellation policy you will receive 50% of the cost of the reservation less Airbnb's service fee.  So if you paid $400 plus $48 in Airbnb's service fees, you will be refunded $200 out of a total of $448 if you cancel more than 7 days in advance of the reservation date.  It doesn't matter if you cancel 8 days or 30 days prior to the reservation date. 

HI. My situation is different. I was unable to make my flight due to extreme weather. I missed the flight whle in transit to the airport 400 km from my house. We had a severe ice storm and roads were closed due to accidents. Because my reservation is long term....30 days.....and it was to begin today I am not to get any refund. The host has no problem refunding some of my payment if the condo can be rented but she says she cannot cancel the reservation otherwise her rating will suffer. She suggested I contact Airbnb but I cannot find how to contact them directly. I don't mind paying some but I would like to get some refund. Can anyone help? Thanks

Your answer says to clink on the link below to find the ways to contact airbnb directly but I can't find a link anywhere.

Thuy7
Level 2
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

How can I contact direct to Airbnb? I am in the same case. How can I get my refund? It happened 8 days ago.

Gina41
Level 1
Singapore

Hi Airbnb Team,

I have confirmed my booking and the Reservation code is [Personal information]. I have a few questions to clarify .

1. Why am I been charged so early as my trip to Seoul is on 1st Dec? 

2. If I were to cancel my reservation will I get a full refund as I was told it will only be charged near to the date.

3 Why the apartment that i booked is no longer listing in Airbnb is there anything wrong with the host? If that's the case I will will to have a full refund and i can look up for other accommodation in Airbnb asap.

Appreciate you could revert asap.

Regards
Gina

@Gina41

There is no "AirBnB Team" here.

You need to go down the hall to room 666.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

@Gina41 Airbnb collects payment for reservations at the time they are confirmed and releases the payment to the host 24 hours after the guest checks in. 

If you cancel, regardless how far in advance of the reservation, your refund would be subject to the host's cancellation policy.  Airbnb service fees are not refundable.

If you are concerned about the listing you can contact the host or Airbnb.  Click on the link below to see all the ways you can do this. 

Hope this helps, Clare

Clare (or anyone). I am a host and my guest canceled within a reasonable amount of time. My policy is 50%, but I refunded the other 50% less the AirBB service fees. Why does it say that the fee will come out of my next AirBB payout? I do not receive a payment until the stay (which is in April). Am I paying the guest out of my pocket for this cancelation? It is not clear to me as a host. Thanks!

@Gina41 I'm not an Airbnb employee, just a host, but I can answer your questions. 

1. Payments for reservations (except for reservations of 28 days or more) are charged when the reservation is confirmed.  Airbnb holds onto the payment until 24 hours after check in at which time the funds are released to the host.  The Guest Refund policy is such that if a guest arrives and the place is dirty, misrepresented or otherwise unacceptable, the host will not be paid and the guest will be refunded. 

2. If you were to cancel your reservation, your refund would be subject to the host's cancellation policy which may vary from Flexible, Moderate or Strict.  This was disclosed to you when you made your booking.  Here's what they mean: 

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies

Airbnb service fees are not refundable in the event you cancel. 

The only exception is where there are Extenuating Circumstances: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/extenuating-circumstanc3.es-policy

3. If you no longer see the listing when searching, it may be because the listing is fully booked or the host has made his place unavailable for reservations for whatever reason...might be travelling, doing repairs, etc.   Do you have the listing link?  It should look like this: www.airbnb.com/rooms/xxxx where the x's are numbers.  I'd be happy to take a look for you. 

Hope this helps!  Clare

Hi Clare,

I hope I can jump in here. Your responses have been very helpful. As a host myself, I am confused when Airbnb says they will refund from my account. I have not received any monies yet and it is months out before the guest would have arrived. A fee is one thing but taking money from me I have not received seems odd. Can you shed light on that?

thank you

Catherine

@Mari20 Not knowing your exact situation it is hard for me to say.  If a reservation is cancelled before it starts and you have not yet been paid, then the guest refund comes out the money Airbnb is holding pending payout.  If the reservation has already started and you have already been paid, then the refund normally comes out of future payouts.  Does this make sense?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Clare0 

I am sure you are right about this and what you say makes sense.

However, I had a situation where a guest was thinking of cancelling but concerned about what it would cost her (I had a strict policy for that listing at the time). The booking was still quite far in the future.

As I didn't want her to cancel last minute and sensed she was potentially a problem guest, I told her I would refund her 90% instead of only 50% if she cancelled ASAP, which she was happy with.

I called Airbnb to ask what was the best way to go about this. They said I was very kind to offer the guest the additional refund at all and I followed their instructions on how to do this. Imagine my surprise when I then got a message telling me the funds would come out of my next payout instead of the payment they had taken from her! This was for a booking months in advance.

So, what happened here then? Airbnb took the money from the guest upfront. I guess when she cancelled, they refunded her the 50% she was due, but, instead of refunding the additional 40% from the money they were holding from her, they took it from me even though I had received no payment for the booking. I then had to wait several months to get this money back.