Cancellation and full refund

Raymond96
Level 2
Markham, Canada

Cancellation and full refund

Hi, 

I need some help from you all. I recently booked air bnb for singapore and then i realized we had some issues. Firstly , i found out that it is illegal to stay in airbnb in singapore so its risky and my relatives had passport issues. I booked the airbnb for a day and cancelled it as i didn't want any risk and we had immigration issues but the cancellation policy is on strict. The host said he would refnd the full amount however since i did it wihtin a day, it has to go through air bnb. Do you think i can get my full refund. I  feel it doesnt make sense to take half my  money wheni booked it for a day. please help !

5 Replies 5

@Raymond96 the host said he would help refund the full amount, yes?

The host is not trying to get rid of you by asking you to go through AirBnB. He is telling you the thing you must do.

Going through AirBnB is the *only* way to get your refund, as AirBnB is the one holding your money.

Hopefully your communication with the host has been on the AirBnB messaging system so that can help explain to AirBnB customer service what is going on.

Contact AirBnB support and let them know you want to cancel and that the host has agreed to provide a full refund despite the Strict cancellation policy. They will double-check with the host, but if the host is agreeable, then you should get your full refund. (Depending on the timing, AirBnB may keep a portion of their fees.)

Suthasinee0
Level 1
Grafton, WI

I am having the same issue. I wrote my host and a host told me to write to Airbnb. I'm wondering if you ever got your refund back. My is on restricted as well.

@Raymond96 

Nowadays strict is usually strict with grace period meaning a full refund is given if cancellation is within 48 hours of booking.

Also, if a guest needs to cancel, the guest has to be the one initiate the cancellation from their account. The host cannot do it for them because hosts are penalized for cancellations.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#strict-with-grace-period

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/New-strict-cancellation-policy-update/m-p/652735

Also, imo legal aspects and immigration issues are something to be considered BEFORE you book. Especially if it is clear that you will not be getting a full refund in case of cancellation. Would you book unrefundable flights when you don't have a visa and don't know if you can take time off from work or not? This has nothing to do with fair. Rules are rules. It seems all you did was waste that host's time because you didn't bother to do your homework before paying/booking.

Right on...

So you are saying that even though air bnb is illegal in Singapore the hosts are allowed to post their properties and unsuspecting tourists who end up booking the place have to pay the price for the greed and recklessness of a greedy few. Please tell me honestly.. If you find a hosting available, is your first response going to be to book it or to try and find if it is legal or not. I mean if it is against the law then the listing should not be allowed in the first place right.. That is fair.. that is the basic anyone in their right sense would expect. 

We all want to travel and enjoy the world not get into trouble or cause trouble to locals anywhere