Cancellation and reopening of the calendar

André51
Level 1
Stavang, Norway

Cancellation and reopening of the calendar

Hi!

I have a question:

I have a friend who is also a host at Airbnb. He made a mistake and cancelled a reservation in the place of a guest who couldn't come to his house between the 14th and 28th of July next year (2018). Now he's not able to reopen these dates in his calendar.

Can you please tell us what to do in order to reopen these dates in his calendar?

Best regards,
André ****

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Host cancellations when it should be the guest cancellation is one of the most frequent mistakes made by hosts, @André51.  Since the system is automated and blocking host cancelled dates is an automatic penalty, your friend needs to speak with an Air BNB rep.  If the guest communicated with the host on the Air BNB messaging system, the rep will be able to see that it was the guest intention to cancel, not the host.  Here is a guide to contacting Air BNB

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Good luck to your friend!

Ray92
Level 1
Truckee, CA

I did the same thing any help from Airbnb?

Shona12
Level 1
Goondiwindi, Australia

My guest asked me to  cancel his booking on my end because he had used the wrong credit card. He wants to rebook and I want him to rebook. How do I reopen these dates in the calender?

Please read my previous post, @Shona12.  Same answer applies to your situation.  Contact Air BNB.

Christina265
Level 1
Arvada, CO

A recent guest asked to cancel the remaining 4 weeks of his 6 week stay due to family issues. He wanted to go back home to take care of it.  He realized he would be charged for the first 4 weeks based on Airbnb policy and asked if I could help. I agreed to cancel (I know now he should have cancelled) and split the pay for unused room for the remaining two weeks. I e-mailed him twice that he needed to accept the cancellation or cancell it himself then I would personally refund one week. He didn't do either. I cant rent out the room to another guests since it shows as being booked.  Yesterday he contacted me for being charged for the remining two weeks. I again suggested that he accept my cancellation or submit his own cancellation. He said he never received my cancellation notice so I suggested that he call Aribnb.  

I have been more than willing to work with him so that he is not charged for his unused time and so that I can potentially book another guest. Is it that difficult on the guest end to accept a cancellation or to cancel themselves?  I am trying to understand why he did not act on canceling the remaining reservation.  What else could I have done to resolve this issue?  

@Christina265  Don't know if you read the whole discussion thread, but I repeated responded that the host should not cancel when the guest requests it.  I think what you might have done trying to be fair with this guest is confused him.  Apparently he thought you were going to do everything and he was getting his money back.  At this point, the ball is in his court.  You have the money and now it is up to him to carry through with Air BNB to get a refund. 

If there was an extenuating circumstance, that will supercede your cancellation policy and the long term cancellation policy.  Only Air BNB can determine if that is the case.  

Tell him to contact Air BNB (see guide in my previous post on this thread) and explain the situation.  Do not agree to the cancellation or it will be considered your cancellation and the dates will be blocked and you will be penalized.  Good luck!

Stephen251
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

I have a similar sutiation.  A guest asked me to accept her cancellation request because she wanted to change her dates.  To help her, I accepted her cancellation request.  Now the 2 nights that she cancelled have been blocked. 

Linda, I read your answer and tried to contact AirBNB.  However, I cannot get to the expert by following the link that you posted. 

I also requested the guest to rectify the situation by contacting AirBNB.  How

ever, it is also very difficult for guests to contact AirBNB; therfore, she does not want to do it. 

Is there anything else that I can do? 

Getting any assistance from AirBNB seems to be almost impossible. 

Please anyone, advise me.      

Stephen

@Stephen251  Are you stating that the phone number provided in the link I provided, 61 2 8520 3333, does not work?  We need to know if this link needs updating.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You do not have to accept a Guest cancellation request, they just cancel.

They can ask you to cancel, if you do then the consequences are on you.

David