Cancellation by a guest due to husband in car accident

Jan60
Level 1
Moore, OK

Cancellation by a guest due to husband in car accident

I received my first cancellation this morning and they are asking about a full refund.  The reservation was for a group of 10 people from 3pm 6/23 to noon 6/26.  I sent a note to the guest Sunday 6/18 to make sure she received the House Manual I posted.  I didn’t hear from her until 7am Monday 6/20 stating her husband had been in a serious car accident and she needed to cancel.  She hit the Cancel Button on her end. 

Airbnb paid me $378 of the total $645 since I had a “moderate” cancellation policy in effect at the time of booking.  She is now asking for a refund and if she needs to provide medical bills.  It will take him a month to recover. This could be covered under “Extenuating Circumstances”.  I’m curious why it took her two days to send me a text.  I’m sorry about her husband but I’m also sorry about the loss of income and possibly won’t have a renter for this weekend at my lake house.

Suggestions on what to tell her would be appreciated. 

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Difficult one...

For one I can understand the delay in messaging you - in an emergency something like cancelling a holiday just comes at the end of the list. I know that from experience.

You believe her and accept that AirBnB would see an emergency like this as a valid extenuating circumstance (which I believe they will) and cut short the negotiations and refund her.

You ask her to go through the AirBnB process to claim extenuating circumstances. Which she may or may not do...

Pamela49
Level 2
Denver, CO

I had a similar situation and I asked for a police report to indicate/verify it was not the guest party's fault.  I never heard back from that guest again.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It is up to her to contact ABB, not to contact you, not your call.

David
Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Jan60,

Personally I've been in the same situation as a Host and I chose to issue the full refund under the laws of generally trying to do the right thing.

That said, you don't have to and are in your rights to stand firm.  It's a tough one, do what your gut tells you.

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

I would not offer a full refund as it seems slightly peculiar to me..... so one guest out of ten has a car accident and so none of them can go? 

They already knew your cancellation policy in advance and are getting half the money back.  Perhaps message them and say you will refund the rest if the house is booked by someone else for the same time frame.