Cancellation due to hurricane Sally

Gina383
Level 2
Walden, TN

Cancellation due to hurricane Sally

The eye of Sandy went right over us and even though we are fine, the area is a mess.  My guest for tomorrow cancelled and it was easy, as the hurricane was listed an reason to cancel.  However, my guest for Sunday cannot cancel without penalty.

Any help?

Gina

6 Replies 6
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

So glad to here you are okay @Gina383 . May I tag some community managers for attention and assistance? 

@Airbnb , @Katie , @Liv ?

yes please.  I am going to make a second attempt to get to our place today, the National Guard had the state hyw leading to our place closed.  I may need to cancel quite a few stays.  I have had a help ticket in since yesterday with no reply.  This seems kind of silly having to tell future guests that I have to wait on Airbnb to reply so I can cancel a reservation due to a hurricane.

@Katie 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the tag @Cathie19 😊

@Gina383 I'm so sorry to hear you've been affected by the hurricane - scary stuff. I will send you a DM with some more info now.

Gina383
Level 2
Walden, TN

After 24 hours, I received a "support" response:

"My name is Priyanshu from the Airbnb Support Ambassador Team. I understand that you have questions about your reservation. I request you to please share the information that the listing location is impacted by hurricane Sally from the government website so that I can assist you better."

This was my response:

Yes, I received your message. I spent the day yesterday trying to first get to our property, which requires a special pass to get through the National Guard barricades. I then worked to see what furniture and goods I could salvage. I was unable to provide you yesterday with official notices from government agencies because not only were electric line, cable, and phone lines destroyed, but actually the cell tower that services the area was toppled.

FEMA typically takes a week or so to declare a Disaster Area, so do I need to get a note from the governor of Alabama to suffice Airbnb, or do I need to get a note from President Trump?

I am actually quite offended by this whole process. Myself and countless others have lost much in this storm that has been widely publicized in the United States media and as a Super Host, I am trying to do the right thing and make our customers (mine and Airbnb) feel we are working with them. I need to not only cancel my Sunday reservations, but all for at least the next month. If Airbnb needs to "penalize" me for this because you don't have a letter from a "government agency", then I will cancel all future reservations and move to a different platform.

Just some information in case you are curious, https://www.wkrg.com/alabama-news/vacationers-barred-from-baldwin-county-beaches-for-10-days-followi... . I am sorry I couldn't get you more, but the local government is a little busy trying to evacuate people to write me a letter to give to Airbnb.

Gina383
Level 2
Walden, TN

My Sunday reservation was finally cancelled, now I have to move to the next month.

This has been a process that has been humiliating and cumbersome.  I have customers that think I am holding their money.

I have been a big proponent of Airbnb, but after this process, I can't recommend Airbnb with the enthusiasm as I have in the past.  Now I have to communicate about the next month.  I hope it is an easier process.