Cancellation due to new COVID-19 government restriction - not an extenuating circumstance?

Alexander666
Level 2
México D.F., Mexico

Cancellation due to new COVID-19 government restriction - not an extenuating circumstance?

The state of Guerrero in Mexico just issued a new set of restrictions due to increasing infections, hospitalizations and deaths related to COVID-19, see document below dated Jan 27 - and effective Jan 27.

Under these restrictions we're not allow to host more than 30% of our capacity, that is 7 out of max 25 guests. In case of hosting more we're subject to costly penalties or permanent closure of our place. So sadly we had to cancel several groups of 16, 15 and 11 guests.

I asked the AirBnB support to do these cancellations without any penalty to guests or me, as from my perspective these restrictions clearly apply as extenuating circumstance. However AirBnB support tells me these are not "official government or WHO restrictions" and applied a penalty. Even after insisting and explaining the government document in detail they just ignore me.

Any guidance on how to best approach this? 

----------------------------------------------------

Here the government policy (spanish): https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://periodicooficial.guerrero.gob.mx/wp-content/uploa...

Here the AirBnB support message (Spanish and English translation)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airbnb Support10:20

Hello

My name is Andreea and I am a supervisor here at Airbnb. I hope you are well.

Reviewing your case and the information you sent us, we have determined that it is not enough of the moment for you to accept this policy due to force majeure, since we do not have an official document from the government and the World Health Organization.

For that reason, we are unable to remove cancellation penalties for the host. We know that the coronavirus continues to affect our community and that many of you are suffering the consequences of cancellations. At Airbnb we are constantly thinking of ways to offer as much help as possible to hosts and travelers during this difficult time.

Please, if you can send the required documentation, contact us to review the case again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airbnb Support10:20
Hola

Mi nombre es Andreea y soy supervisor aquí en Airbnb. Espero que estas bien.

Revisando tu caso y la información que nos enviaste hemos determinado que no es suficiente del momento para que puedas acoger a dicha política por causas de fuerza mayor, ya que no tenemos un documento oficial del gobierno y de la Organización Mundial de Salud.

Por ese motivo, no podemos eliminar las penalizaciones por cancelación correspondientes al anfitrión. Sabemos que el coronavirus sigue afectando a nuestra comunidad y que muchos estáis sufriendo las consecuencias de las cancelaciones. En Airbnb no dejamos de pensar en formas de ofrecer toda la ayuda posible a los anfitriones y viajeros durante esta época tan complicada.

Por favor, si puedes enviar la documentación requerida, ponte en contacto con nosotros para volver a revisar el caso.

˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜
Mi nombre de perfil lo dice todo: 666, neta? Rincon del Mar, Acapulco
1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alexander666  Can you get a copy of the govt. restriction to submit to Airbnb? That's what you need, actual documentation, not just insisting and explaining.

The new EC cancellation policy which took effect this month definitely allows for EC cancellation for govt. restrictions, so have that policy in front of you to quote to the Airbnb rep.