Cancellation of a Current Guest

Rick17
Level 2
Spartanburg, SC

Cancellation of a Current Guest

We have JUST contacted AirBnB Help Desk to cancel a reservation because the guest is violating House Rules.   The Customer Service rep explained the policy to us.  We don't want to be penalized for cancelling, of course.   The outcome is that AirBnB will contact the guest that his reservation has been canceled, and this is the kicker, the CSR wanted to tell the guest that WE had an Emergency and could not accommodate him!!!  We told him  , THAT IS NOT THE TRUTH, do NOT lie, and to tell the truth---The guest violated House Rules which is grounds for cancelling a reservation, and that he must vacate the premises by 11 am tomorrow morning.    We are incredulous that the CSR even suggested that.  

13 Replies 13
Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Welcome to dealing with ABB's so-called CSRs,  that is,  gross incompetence and malfeasance.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Rick17 

This is the beauty of a 3rd party administrator. You can wash your hands of bad acts. 

That Airbnb wants to lie is NOT a reflection on you.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Rick17 If your guest violates house rules, and they’re very clear,  you should not have to lie to justify your request.

Good for you to sticking to your guns.

Do you have evidence of the ‘breaking of house rules’  or communications with your guest stating such, otherwise it could be bit of a battle.

@Rick17  Added to the fact that a host should not have to lie about the need to cancel a guest due to them breaking the house rules. How will the guest get the message that there are consequences when they Break House Rules going forward?? It only leaves it open to them repeating bad habits at their next Airbnb stay! 

Also, if you accept responsibility for the cancellation, 'due to an emergency'...... the guest will receive a refund, and you will miss out on money that is due to you! 

I agree with @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  Good on you for sticking to your guns! Good luck, hope it works out for you. 

Amy1041
Level 2
Saint Paul, MN

I have a guest that wants to come and go frequently between midnight and 8am.  I can't havemy house secuirty system engaged with this behavior - which is due to wanting to smoke a cig and being a night owl.  I've asked him to sit down with me to discuss this and he jusy walks out the door.  Any advice?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Amy1041 hi 🙂 Have you stated anywhere in your house rules that you prefer the guests to be home at that time? If you want to enforce this you need to have it available for guests to read before they book because this rule might feel limiting. Some might have no problem with that but others might not want to book in a place with specific time limitations. Also, the guest should stay and discuss, walking out will not solve any problems . I would recommend communicating on the Airbnb messaging system in order to have evidence of your interaction in case something comes up later. 

I did message him about walking away when I speakto him in good faith to resolve this pleasantly.  No answer from him.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.  I appreciate it.

@Amy1041 I would send him a message on Airbnb messenger and lay out why you're uncomfortable with what he's doing. However, as your house rules don't state anything about coming and going at night, I don't know how much you can really say at this point. Maybe just stress the quiet hours, which you do have in your rules, and change you rules to mention it so it doesn't happen in future.

I did message him about ignoring me whenIspeak to him.  He hasn't replied.  And I've changed house rules to be more explicit about no smokers and quiet times as well as no poppingin and out after midnight.  I also changed the photo to be of me and my son so that they know I'm not alone here.  That might deter these troubled young men from making reservations.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Amy1041Hi,  I've experienced this, so now I state in my listing that it is non-smokers only and I also put it in my house rules. It's working so far.

Amy1041
Level 2
Saint Paul, MN

Thanks - I've changed my rules.  Hopefully, inthefuture this will NEVER happen again.

Veronica1053
Level 1
New York, NY

What do you do when guests are rude and disrespectful and do not follow your rules?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Veronica1053 

Can you be more specific? It's hard to offer advice without knowing more details. How are they being rude/disrespectful and in what way are they breaking the rules?