Cancellation request due to volcano warning

Hideout0
Level 3
Bali, Indonesia

Cancellation request due to volcano warning

Hi there,

our accommodation is on the slopes of Agung volcano in Bali. Yesterday, the government raised the alert level from Level 2 to Level 3 (out of 4) with a recommendation to be very alert 6km from the crater. Our place is 12km from the crater.

Nobody in our area is in panic, everyone continues on living as normal taking some precautions and having an evacuation plan. We live here as well and we are staying put. I prepared some evacuation plan for our place to higher hills if necessary. In the recent past, there were similar events with no danger to local residents.

My question is, some guests are starting to be worry and think about not to come because of their fear - what is the solution? Is it their choice and they would be reimbursed by their insurance? Even if there is no external volcano activity so far? Many guests are relying on sources which are not exactly reliable, using photos and videos of other erupting volcanos. This level can be ongoing for months. 

Thank you for your input,

Alena

8 Replies 8
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Hideout0. Airbnb would likely allow the guests to cancel with a full refund under the Extenuating Circumstances Policy since Airbnb would not take the risk of putting guests in harms way.  I know if I had booked in an area where there was even the slightest chance of a volcanic eruption, I would want to cancel with a full refund. 

Some guests might have travel insurance, but you can't count on it. If you have a Strict Cancellation Policy, I would recommend that you change it to Flexible or Moderate.  This way, people would be more likely to book knowing they could cancel if the alert level goes up.  

Sorry you are in this situation!

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Hideout0

Or... could you market this situation in some way? You are miles from the crater - how far does lava flow? Assuming if there was an eruption people could still leave the island, being actually able to see a volcanic eruption would be pretty cool! There must be plenty of bucket lists with that sort of intense experience on it!

How about setting up an 'experience'? Come see the bubbling magma!

Hideout0
Level 3
Bali, Indonesia

Thank you for your answers so far.

What stuns me is how thin the line is between the host responsibility for refund and guest responsibility for their travel insurance.

There is a volcano about to erupt and I am the one, who should reimburse the guests? We have employees who need to be paid, we are a running business and quite depending on the income.

Shouldn't this be exactly the thing to be covered by travel insurance? 

I completely understand and I am happy to reimburse fully if the problem was on my side - like canceling due to a problem with electricity or water - my issue - my refund. But how can we be obliged to refund something that is affecting our house and lives as well? This is the condition for travel insurance, this is why there are here. Or am I wrong?

@Hideout0 You are not wrong, but many people don't even think of purchasing travel insurance.  You have no control over the volcano and neither does the guest.  Same for all the hosts and guests in Texas and Florida.  Imagine not only loosing income, but your property as well.  

By using Airbnb's platform for your rental, you agreed to Airbnb's Terms of Service.  Essentially it is the contract between you and Airbnb.  Part of that contract reads as follows: 

"9.5 In certain circumstances, Airbnb may decide, in its sole discretion, that it is necessary to cancel a confirmed booking and make appropriate refund and payout decisions. This may be for reasons set forth in Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstances Policy or (i) where Airbnb believes in good faith, while taking the legitimate interests of both parties into account, this is necessary to avoid significant harm to Airbnb, other Members, third parties or property, or (ii) for any of the reasons set out in these Terms."

If you were renting your space on your own, you would be the sole determinator of whether a guest would receive a refund or not and the guest could use travel insurance (if they purchased it) or sue you for reimbursement. 

It is very unfortunate that there is a potentially active volcano in your area which causes the alert to go on for months creating loss of income.  

I hope you and your family are safe!

We are considering asking our host to pospone our reservation untill next Christmas. have you concidered offering this option to your guests?

There is no thin line.   You are comitting to providing your house for a safe, habitable stay.   If you're unable to provide that, for any reason whether you are responsible or not, it makes little sense that you should be able to charge for it.

If I have a restaurant, and have pre-paid for a steak and order one, but I inform you that through no fault of my own, the refrigerator has broken and the steaks have spoiled, you would ask for your money back, would you not?  

Deana12
Level 2
Lorena, TX

I can't imagine bringing my family into such a dangerous situation. Who would? As a host you can not expect people to do this and you should affer FULL refunds. I understand it is a business and all that, but you are talking about the safty, lives and health of people over MONEY! Consider offering your guests alternitive reservation dates, maybe even next Christmas. This situation calls for some thinking that may be a little outside of the box! 

Holly135
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

Unfortunately Insurance companies are only offering cover for people who booked before the travel warning was issued. Normal cover would still apply for people who booked after that date, but not for anything related to the volcano.

i would imagine this issue is coming up for hosts in other parts of Bali too, as guests arnt just concerned about lava flow, they may want to avoid toxic air and air cancellations. 

i agree with comment above, I would change cancellation policy to flexible, it will give guests who are concerned the confidence to book, and if the volcano really is no issue then all will be well and you will get more bookings.