Cancellation under 25

Dan15063
Level 1
Derby, United Kingdom

Cancellation under 25

My girlfriend has booked a property for us and another couple for 2 nights. 

On the page it stated they were unable to host groups under 25, my girlfriend is 23 but the rest of us are over 25 and one of the guests even 30 so as we are not a group under 25 we didn’t believe this to be a problem. 
the property also holds up to 8 people

To clarify the post doesn’t say no guests under 25 just no groups under 25 

Also this isnt shown under house rules just in the property description - not sure if this makes a difference or not. 

Anyway, the management team for the hosts has messaged asking age of the group so they can give us some recommendations etc and she has told them we are 23-30 to which the they have told us we must cancel today while we can get a full refund as we have broken the terms and conditions of the owners, but also we cannot talk to owners directly. 

What is really bothering us that they have upped the prices of their other properties for the same dates and also the property we have booked for the following dates by more than double and feel like they have decided they have put prices too low and want us to cancel. 

Where do we stand? 
They are telling us to cancel which doesn’t seem to be right, if we they had genuine reason to not let us stay there surely they would just cancel the booking?

Also, saying we must cancel today while in free cancellation is ridiculous too as we have free cancellation until December. 

sorry for long post but it’s really frustrated us 

4 Replies 4
Dan15063
Level 1
Derby, United Kingdom

On checking again the house rules do state ‘no large groups under 25’

we are 2 couple with one person under 25 at half the capacity of the apartment 

seems crazy that we are being told to cancel yet a group of 8 lads 26 years old wouldn’t ??

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Dan15063  you have 48 hours to cancel and get a full refund including the Airbnb fee. If you cancel later you will lose Airbnb fee

@Dan15063  you obviously booked from an agency, not from a small, private host. Airbnb applies different rules for agencies and I am not familiar with what they are or are not allowed

But, Airbnb has a nondiscrimination policy where it says hosts should not discriminate by age / race / gender etc... ( read Airbnb TOS)

Obviously, you are not welcomed there and if you don't cancel they will, maybe at the last minute so you are risking staying on the street. You will wait for a refund for at least 2 weeks so, sooner you cancel - sooner you will be refunded and be able to book another accommodation.

I would suggest booking from a private, small host, with no more than 4 listings, and with good reviews.  Private hosts take more care about their properties and their guests than agencies do.

Thankyou for your reply!

You make a very good point that we are not welcome and will take on your advice and search for another property!