Cancellation voucher scam

Steve3066
Level 2
Otford, Australia

Cancellation voucher scam

Last year I spent $3000 on a Vietnam residence that I was unable to travel too from Sydney Australia due to Covid. I was given the option of approximately $1300 back or to leave the money with Airbnb as a credit. With all intentions to book the same place the following year I took the credit. As things became clear Covid was going no where quickly and with a likely expiry date on the credit, I used the $3000 credit plus paid another $500 to book an apartment for my family in the Gold Coast in January 2021. Subsequently borders were closed. The owner gave what was made clear a one off change to September. The only other choice was to cancel.  (I was paid $500 back in return, for the difference in cost). We now find another border closure, however the owner will not negotiate a new date. So now I have to cancel. To make matters worse I only received a $285 refund. I was told because it was paid with credit I have now appeared to have crystallised the voucher for Airbnb’s benefit. So for $3500 In total I have received $800 back and a credit for $1100. Airbnb customer service has advised they would like to provide me back the cash but their systems won’t allow it. There is one thing to hide behind the policy but to then say things like this in this day and age really shows what they are making their staff say to protect their bottom line. Does anyone know my next best avenue to pursue turning this voucher back into my cash my or at least some more of my cash back.

2 Replies 2
Mechele0
Level 2
Ilkley, United Kingdom

I am really sorry you have had this experience with Airbnb:( they do like to use their policies and not being able to override the system, always in their favour:((( it’s is frustrating annoying and complexly unfair!  Unfairbnb!! 

I recent made a momentary mistake, whist booking accommodation for a wedding next year in an area I am unfamiliar with. 

I inadvertently booked the accommodation that was further away than I would like, 

Mechele0
Level 2
Ilkley, United Kingdom

I immediately cancelled the booking, literally within minutes, but that means you’ve lost your voucher! As I tried to book the accommodation that just ten minutes away, Airbnb now keep the voucher that I haven’t been able to benefit from… because the system won’t let them and the cancellation policy is not flexible enough to be fair to super hosts that work hard to make guests happy:(( 

be careful how you spend your vouchers, even if you cancel before the email lands they’re going to keep all of that voucher