Cancellation

Cancellation

Good morning

I'm new to Airbnb and have a question regarding Cancellation

I've asked Airbnb Support and have been waiting for two days for an answer!

A client booked one of my properties for a week at the end of July

She then decided to cancel, but doesn't want to pay the €700 cancellation fee

She told me to cancel but this has a cost, and also reflects negatively on me as a host

My question is: how much is the cancellation fee if I cancel?

She's refusing to cancel and is blocking dates in peak season

Many thanks for any advice you can give me

Rebecca

9 Replies 9
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Rebecca1417 Don't cancel. It has all kinds of downsides: not only do you pay a fee, but you will have a permanent review on your (brand new) profile saying that you cancelled on a guest. It can also negatively impact your placement in search results. There is absolutely no reason for you to cancel on behalf of a guest. 

If you want her to open your calendar, you could make an offer like you will refund her if you are able to get a replacement booking. 

Don't give in to bullies! Her alternative is keeping the reservation and paying the entire thing: just call her bluff. If she sends you a cancellation request, do not accept it, because it will have the same effect as you cancelling yourself. 

Hi Alexandra

Thank you for your really helpful reply. I’ve never cancelled a booking, and certainly don’t want to create a negative and false image of how I work

I shall sit tight, thank you!

I can see why you’re a Level 10!

Sending best wishes from Sardinia

Rebecca 

@Rebecca1417  No problem! I hope it turns out okay!

I know when you're new, the tendancy can be to want to please the guests at all costs, but this just isn't worth it. 

Good luck on your hosting journey!

Thank you! Very kind!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rebecca1417 Also, if you cancel, the dates will be blocked in your calendar and you will not be able to fill them! The guest is being a jerk.

That’s another very valid point, thank you!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rebecca1417   When guests do this, just tell them that Airbnb handles all the transactions, and refunds guests according to the cancellation policy of the listing, and that as soon as she cancels, opening the dates on your calendar, you may be able to rebook the dates, in which case you'll authorize a further refund.

If the guest continues to try to bully you, don't keep engaging with them, report them for harrassment.

Dear Sarah

That's really helpful, thank you very much indeed

This community is great!

Sending best wishes from Sardinia to Mexico

Rebecca

I just asked Airbnb: "Cancellation policies - why as an owner do I have to give them 10% reduction to make it non-refundable?? This makes no sense. I have 2 beachfront cottages, if they predict rain for the 7 days guests could just cancel and walk away - not only do I as an owner have an empty listing - I lose 10 percent. I make my 100% refundable until 30 days before reservation. 50% 2 weeks out - 2 weeks out I am nonrefundable. Who gives Airbnb the right to decide my policies? Last time I checked I was in the USA." Does anyone else feel slighted with the cancellation policy? Why cant we have our own?