Cancellation

Lennie1
Level 2
Mount Pleasant, SC

Cancellation

Hello all! I am new to this and I have only hosted 3 times since I listed about a month ago. A couple days ago they confirmed guests without verification of the guest that were actually staying at our place. The guest that were paying is a verified guest but none of the 4 parties were. Secondly, they booked for 12 days and that was fine but airbnb gave them a 15% nightly rate instead of my 15% weekly rate. When I called to confront them about this, I was told that it was an instant booked and it was paid for already. I was on a 25 minute conversation as the rep tried to recalculate and finally she came up with the correct amount. She told me she would put in a request for the additional amount. I told her I needed all guest verified as I was comfortable with unverified guest. She advised me to contact the booking guest and have him to have his guest verified, totally unacceptable! Why should I have to clean up their mess when this was clearly one of my requirements. All of this happened on Friday and they were coming into town on Monday because they didnt rectify any of this by late Friday night, I didn't want to risk them not securing a place for Monday so I cancelled. They were coming into town for business. I received an email from airbnb that the 12 days would remain blocked for future bookings to avoid this happening in the future. Is this normal? My husband is upset and we are actually looking into booking services.

2 Replies 2
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hi @Lennie1. Did you become familiar with airbnb's cancellation policy? Hosts must avoid cancelling at any rate. 

Because: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Even at the expense of losing of money or  lives! I have been reading reviews on you from "Airbnb Hell and well....let's just say I wish I seen it first. Whatever happened to ethics in business. Are they in it for the money alone. Money can never compensate for lives. Allowing guests a guest a pass on another another guest's merits is the same as I allowing someone to use my drivers license to gain access to my bank account. Oh and about reading the policy, well..ah...no we didn't. I guess we were just a little excited about all the frills we read about the benefits, but we got it now. It wasn't the policy alone we had issues with but the the mistake was there's and it was not handled. They caused the mistake but the host must avoid cancellation? Thank you for your response though.