Cancellation

Rose89
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Cancellation

Hello, I'm a host and a guest book a 4 night stay in July, via Instant booking.  Her message came through later to say that 3 guys would be staying.  I've replied to her asking for clarification whether she would be joining them too or whether she is booking on their behalf - no reply as yet, but it is the weekend so I'll give her until Monday to respond.  If I cancel myself, I lose Superhost potential and incur cancellation fees.  How can I avoid this?

3 Replies 3
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello Rose,

For how many people is the reservation? If it's for 3 and you're not qualified for the work collection, contact Airbnb straight away as, from her message, it can only be that her intent is to make a third party reservation.

I have done so in the past regarding such third party bookings.

I've enlisted their help for a reservation where the person said that she would just be visiting the person staying and a booking where the person making the reservation said that her friend would arrive first and she later. In the first case the reservation was cancelled penalty free and in the second case they told her to arrive at the same time as her friend and she did. I wouldn't have let him in otherwise.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Ring customer service and get airbnb to cancel the booking penalty free, If you are uncomfortable with an instant booking, cancellation is without penalty.

how-do-penalty-free-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-hosts

Rose89
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Thank you, Steve and Jeff, I'm grateful for your advice.  Airbnb support was quick to respond to my request.  Apparently the guest is a verified Business Partner - although this didn't show on her profile - my cancelling WOULD have incurred a penalty.  The layout on a mobile is a little different than on a PC screen so I missed it. I'll be sure to check this next time.