Cancellation

Cancellation

I just made a reservation - as of this morning and I have talked to the host and she and I agreed I can cancel with no penalty within the first 24 hours. However when I go to cancel it tells me my refund is very, very little. I don't know what to do. The host doesn't want to do the cancellation because it looks bad for her stats. Please help

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Jacqueline320 ,

it depends on the cancelation policy in the listing regarding a refund.

So what is the  policy ?

Best regards, Emiel

It says that it will be refunded if it's more than 30 days before the start of the reservation, which it is.

Emiel1
Level 10

Hi @Jacqueline320 ,

What is the name of the policy ?

They are all here:

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies

We will have to look at the listing to see all details.

Best regards, Emiel

It is long term which I just realized charges me for the whole thing. However the host said she understood that it could be canceled within 24 hours of being made and I am within that time frame. She also has no problem with the cancellation.

Emiel1
Level 10

Hello @Jacqueline320 ,

Just wondering: why are you booking a long term(!) reservation and cancel it right away ?

The long term policy says (quoted):

"If the guest books a long term reservation and decides to cancel the reservation before the start date, the first month of the reservation is paid to the host in full and not refunded to the guest."

So it means the host (as @Lois10 stated below) can refund you this month, if she agrees on this.

If you cancel because of special circumstances, better contact Airbnb/

Contact Airbnb - A Community Help Guide [UPDATED]

Hope this helps, Emiel

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>The host doesn't want to do the cancellation because it looks bad for her stats<<

Nope, she loses out big time and has the dates blocked in her calendar to boot. 

Lois10
Level 5
Rock Springs, WY

If she said she would refund any money she gets . Than cancel and she still I’ll refund you the difference through the Resolution center but you will still lose your fees to Airbnb

She said she won't get paid until the reservation starts, which it never really will since I canceled it?

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Jacqueline320,

If the reservation is cancelled the host will get paid the amount for the first month a few days after the originally intended check in date. That is if the guest doesn't contact Airbnb and claim provable extenuating circumstances.

After the originally intended checkin date the host will have the money and can refund the amount that they receive. This will not include Airbnb's host or guest fees.

Steve.