Level 1
The Hague, Netherlands

Cancellationn policy

Dear reader,

i found several hosts that have the following cancellation policy:

Cancellation policy
- Cancel by 48 hours after booking Full refund
- xxx (check-in) Full refund, minus the service fee and the first 30 days
- xxx (check-out) Full refund, minus the 30 days following the cancellation date, the service fee and the cleaning fee.

Now, does that mean after 48 hrs I will have to pay for a 30 days stay!?

The specific host I am i contact with now says she has the place on FULL FLEXIBLE but the page is still showing the above....
How to mannage this!?

1 Best Answer
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Mattijs1 🙂

If you book a long term stay meaning a stay of 28 or more days the long term cancellation policy will kick in. It's the same for every host and something that is automatically attached to the booking by airbnb - the host can't change it or do anything about it. Usually guests get a huge long term discount you wouldn't get if you booked a shorter stay (27 days or less). A guest will block a host's calender for a many days (no one else can reserve it or book it). If a guest books for 4 month and decides to leave early - the guest will only have to pay for 30 days - never more than that. It's more like the normal rental market as so many days are blocked out for the guest - It's very unlikely that a host will be able to re-rent a place straight ahead should a guest decide to leave early. You can always ask the host if the host would refund should the host be able to rent some of the days (if you need to leave earlier than booked for).

Best, Sandra 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Mattijs1 🙂

If you book a long term stay meaning a stay of 28 or more days the long term cancellation policy will kick in. It's the same for every host and something that is automatically attached to the booking by airbnb - the host can't change it or do anything about it. Usually guests get a huge long term discount you wouldn't get if you booked a shorter stay (27 days or less). A guest will block a host's calender for a many days (no one else can reserve it or book it). If a guest books for 4 month and decides to leave early - the guest will only have to pay for 30 days - never more than that. It's more like the normal rental market as so many days are blocked out for the guest - It's very unlikely that a host will be able to re-rent a place straight ahead should a guest decide to leave early. You can always ask the host if the host would refund should the host be able to rent some of the days (if you need to leave earlier than booked for).

Best, Sandra 

Mattijs1
Level 1
The Hague, Netherlands

Hey @Sandra856 Sandra, that's great to know! I could not find anything like this anywhere and there was no way I could get in touch with Airbnb
(I did try to send emails to several country's adresses but none replied... And none of my 'No this answer did not help' markings ended up getting noticed...)
So, this makes sense. Thak you.

Now what is strange, and sad, is that apparently the hosts did not know about this either so they got quite agitated - claiming that they already put their offer on max flexible.

Anyway. Now do you have any idea as to my rights when I would have to cancel because of country lockdowns....? We rented for 5 weeks now....

Gerry11
Level 2
Medford, OR

Has AIRBNB herd about Netflix? Lost almost 1 million subscribers but profits rose. Airbnb following suit?  Bad policy for hosts starts 8/22. Probably boost revenues (at first).  Hi