Cancellations: Is anyone else seeing a big upswing in cancellations?

Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

Cancellations: Is anyone else seeing a big upswing in cancellations?

I'd like advice from anyone who might be seeing this trend. 

We were thrilled when most of our summer months booked out- in some cases months in advance. However, now there's a stream of cancellations, more in one month than I've seen for the last year - including the Covid months! We just had someone who booked seven weeks in August and September abruptly cancel and another who'd blocked out most of our July availability. Both of them booked this time more than six weeks ago! It feels more like people are blocking out our calendar space as... I dunno... a "placeholder" until they decided what to do? So, anyone looking to plan their trip would pass over our place.

Airbnb is always pushing us to make our cancellation policy more lax, but I'm wanting to go in the other direction and make it harder to cancel. Even if we got fewer bookings, at least they'd show up? I'm just curious if this system has worked for other hosts. I'd appreciate any experience or advice you have.

12 Replies 12
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Erin443  I think most people had more cancellations than usual.  In May, I turned off Instant Book for awhile so that people would have to inquire.  When they wrote, they often asked if they could have a more flexible cancellation policy.  I told them that wouldn't be possible, and that they should wait until they were 100% sure they could travel before booking.   

Instant Book is back on, but I still get inquiries before the bookings asking about the cancellation policy.  I tell them it can't be changed, they should wait to book until they're sure, and that if they have to cancel I will endeavor to refund the 50% not refunded by rebooking the dates.  I let them know that this year, I've rebooked every single vacated date.  They usually book at that point.  My calendars are now fuller than they've ever been for July, August, and September. 

Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

@Ann72  I'm glad you're getting rebooked, that makes a huge difference! Here's a classic example for me:  a woman booked for 15 days because her boyfriend's a kidney transplant patient and needs to be seen back at the hospital close by us. A medical necessity no matter what else is happening. She made that clear. She also asked repeatedly about a discount, complaining that the hospital offered cheaper accommodations but that they were full. (Since we get a lot of patients from the hospital, I know about their waiting list and how long it is.) I politely explained that we just dropped our nightly rate by $10 and I couldn't afford to drop it any further. She held that half of the month, knowing my cancellation policy and then one day beforehand cancelled, demanding a 100% refund and citing COVID-19 as her reason for cancellation. I know they're coming. She either got a better deal or got into the discounted housing. And I'm screwed, because if I refuse to give the refund, that means the reservation is in place, they come here and make our lives hell for 2 weeks in retaliation and then leave a terrible review - I'm basing this on the experiences of other hosts in the area. It's the callousness of using my place as a "backup" and I've got no recourse. I'm following the suggestion of some of the other hosts to limit stays to 2-3 days unless the guest can give me a commitment that they're coming. But then, I still end up with situations like the one above. AGGGH!

@Erin443 

On 'new' post March 14th contracts Covid should NOT be a viable cancellation option. That's the Airbnb policy and it is they who should be imposing that. Your guest, is simply utilising a loophole being provided by them. They have no right to do that, so it is Airbnb at fault there and your cancellation should be followed up by legal action to claim for your losses.

Regarding your cancellation policy, thats under your control. You could change it to 'Strict'. An invitation to a guest to cancel for free up to 5 days before arrival will be too much of an attraction for them and still make you vulnerable up to that time without there even being any Covid influence, I would tighten up your cancellation policy and maybe reduce your price to make the offer a little more attractive. Actually getting the guests to stay must surely be better than having them cancel?

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Erin443  That is the WORST.  Gah.  I think your new strategy will get you better guests.

Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

@Ann72 Thank you! I appreciate it and hope your brisk booking schedule stays that way. 🙂

@Erin443  Aw thank you!  As my places are very seasonal, I really need the summer and early fall to be strong so I can pay those pesky property taxes in October 😅

Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

@Ann72 Your listings are gorgeous, I hope my family can stay there next year when travel is more realistic!  We have family in Maine and your modern cottage is to DIE for. 🙂

@Erin443 Oh wow, THANK YOU!!!!!  It would be my honor to host you!  Best case would be I'd be at the main house at the same time and we could cocktail!  😁

Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

@Ann72 LOVE that! I make one hell of a mojito...

Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

This message tells me that they can cancel anytime they like, and if I try to hold them to their reservation, they'll make my life hell. It's a tidy way to make sure we're forced to give a full refund without actually... you know, forcing us.

**** is requesting a full refund
· 2 guestsSpotless, large 4 room apt. w/ private entrance
Tell your host about your situation.
travel plans have changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic
We understand many hosts and guests may feel uncomfortable hosting or traveling at this time. You can agree to cancel the reservation penalty-free and give ****  a full refund. We’ll refund the service fee.
If we don’t hear from you before Jul 10 at 4:23 PM, the request will expire and the reservation will stay the same.

@Erin443 

That message reads to me like - if you do nothing the request will expire and the reservation would remain. That's what you want if it's within your 5 days of check-in.

Don't reply. 

It would make cancellation easy if you agreed to cancel, but you shouldn't do. If you did that, it would not matter about the contract not accommodating Covid and it would cost you your cancellation fee. I see no incentive for you to cancel there, and I wouldn't. If you accepted their cancellation request fearing they would make your life hell, then that's certainly no way to be made to feel, but the Airbnb system does make any sort of reasonable resolve impossible, when the guest is being unreasonable.

If you didn't accept, you will of course then receive calls or messages from CS and the guest trying to pressurise you to cancel since, if you fold - everybody else is let off lightly, you lose your cancellation fees, but Airbnb would retain their service fees - Those Post March 15th contracts do not allow Covid as an excuse to cancel a reservation - remember! That risk needed to factored in by the guest when they booked. Their responsibility.

This part - We’ll refund the service fee. ...Is the service fee YOU would have paid. NOT the Airbnb Service fee the guest would pay. Airbnb would get their service fee okay.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 If you are not an attorney, my friend, you should be! I'm very tempted to do that next time. I just can't take the idea of dealing with a furious guest who's bitter because I wouldn't let them off scot-free. But it would almost be worth it to not play the game...