Cancellations and New Bookings - from a Host

Meredith105
Level 2
New York, NY

Cancellations and New Bookings - from a Host

I have a Strict Cancellation Policy:  Guest canceled 2 days prior to arrival.  

Have a potential new guest inquiring about receiving a discount for booking the same dates with similar first name.

Based on this Community Board, I find that it is unlikely that Airbnb will compensate me for the cancellation. 

If I don't negotiate a discount with potential guest, will it look like I don't want a booking???

Answers, Advice, Solutions, Help.......please

I find this whole thing rather suspicious as the guest who canceled asked me to process his cancellation because "Air bnb has been glitching for me". Yet, he was able to inbox me.  Guest referred to "the last time we spoke".  I NEVER spoke to him........"I’ve also notified Amex don’t want to hold you up". 

Very shady.  

***My house is in a summer community, and this represents a huge chunk of my income.***  

5 Replies 5
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Meredith105,

It sounds like a scammer.  Since you have little confidence that Airbnb will compensate you the amount due according to your cancellation policy, then you should have the same amount of reticence that they will support you when the guest demands a refund for a made up issue.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Meredith105  "Looking like you don't want the booking" is a non-issue. Airbnb doesn't look at your messages with guests unless there is some good reason to do so, like a he siad-she said guest/host issue brought to their attention. 

You never have to agree to a guest request for a discount, and it's not a good idea anyway- guests who ask for discounts usually turn out to be entitled in other ways as well.

If it's a booking request, and you don't feel okay about the guest, just decline the request. It lowers your acceptance rate a bit, but it doesn't carry any heavy penalties like cancelling does.

If you want a booking, but just not at a discount, simply message the guest that you're sorry, but you don't offer discounts, as your place is priced fairly for the area and the amenities you provide. Many guests are just trying it on, and will still go on to book even when you don't agree to discount.

@Sarah977   This is my first cancellation in 4 years of hosting.  With less than 2 days to replace a sizable booking...I have a limited time to make money as my property is in a Summer Community.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Meredith105 weird cancellation & weird inquiry could just be summer 2020... I'd address them separately.

And I RARELY discount anyone, but certainly no one that sounds odd.

Why do you think your cancellation policy won't be honored? Did the guest enter the cancellation on their own??

@Kelly149  I find Airbnb to have the guest's POV and be non supportive of the host.  I've read countless examples on this Community Board.  Guest cancels, then tells Airbnb it was 'extenuating circumstances'

The guest was able to enter his own cancellation immediately after I told him that I would not.  His 'glitching issue' disappeared.  This is my first cancellation in 4 years of hosting.

I don't discount, but this weekend is a lot of money and I want a gue$t........have no idea how Airbnb reads the situation.