Cancellations.

Bernard1000
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Cancellations.

Hi, I am new to Airbnb (4 months) and we host with pets.

We took a booking for 3 nights and it was not until our second conversation it became apparent that the guests intended to leave the dogs in the house while they went to work.  I contacted them and said i was uncomfortable with that, they described the dogs and I said I would discuss it with my partner.

Before I could discuss the situation, the guests came back and said they had found other accomodation.

I cancelled the booking only to find, I have been docked $50 of my next booking and the money is being sent to the guests, even, though they had not paid any money and my calendar has been blocked for those days.

I feel like a three times loser here.

We have had rave 5 star revues, made every effort to make a real go of this venture, flowers, milk, tea and coffee ready for all guests,

this is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

My question; can I appeal this? and if so, where?

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bernard1000 

No need to cancel the booking (and get penalized)

The guest had to cancel the booking or you (or the guest) could have shortened the stay ( "change" option on the reservation)

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Bernard1000 Below is an Airbnb help article on penalties that apply when a host cancels. In this case, the guest needed to cancel. You can try contacting Airbnb to explain what happened, that you didn’t understand the way the system works, and see if they will reverse the penalties.

Do spend some time in the help pages learning the ropes. 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/as-a-host-what-penalties-apply-if-i-cancel-a-reservation-for-...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bernard1000 

If you are going to accept pets, you need to make your pet rules clear in your House Rules, and reiterate them to guests when they book. If they aren't willing to comply, you tell them to cancel

You may be able to explain the situation to Airbnb, plead ignorance of what happens when hosts cancel (although you should have informed yourself about cancellation repercussions to start with) and maybe they will reverse the penalties. It's certainly worth a try.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Bernard1000 

That was an unfortunate mistake on your part, but at least don’t have to worry about dogs ripping your house apart all day.

This forum is an excellent place to pick up the unvarnished truth about some of the basics.

One of the first things I learned here was “NEVER cancel a booking unless you are prepared to pay the penalties.”

Bernard1000
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice, as they say " wise after the event".  I have had a telephone conversation with Airbnb and we have come to a compromise but having said that I am still in the losing psoition.

Lessons learnt,

1) if you are taking pets make sure you know what you are dealing with before accepting the booking.

2) state in your listing that guests describe their animals when requesting a stay.

any further comments I would be happy to hear and learn

Regards Bernard

@Bernard1000 Sound strategy. Keeping unsuitable bookings at bay/prevention is the only way to operate on Airbnb. Assume guests have not read even one of your house rules nor a bit of your listing description (because they often don’t), and question thoroughly.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Bernard1000 

Good experience and good advice.

Thanks for sharing with other hosts.