Cancelled booking due to airline ban

Alison91
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Cancelled booking due to airline ban

Please help, my house is listed on Airbnb with a Strict Cancellation Policy. I incurred substantial costs and time making my home ready for my London Airbnb guests and paying upfront for alternative accommodation.  

My guest’s  booking was made in November 2020, and they booked for 3rd to 16th January 2021.
Their flight to South Africa was cancelled due to the UK travel ban. He informed me of the cancelled flight on the Airbnb messaging platform 4 days before check-in.

What refund, if any, is due to him?

13 Replies 13
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alison91 

The guest had to cancel the reservation on the same day he informed you of not being able to travel.

Then the cancellation policy will automatically calculate the refund (if any). If the policy was "strict", only cleaning fee (if any) will be refunded, as cancellation is just 4 days before check-in.

The special "COVID extenuating circumstances" policy does not apply, as travel issues are excluded from having a refund.

You can decide to manually gve the guest some refund, but at least the reservation must be cancelled first (by the guest !) to continue and free up the days on the calender for other booking.

@Alison91 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid1...

Your normal cancellation policy applies here. You do not owe the guest any additional refund - everyone on earth was aware in November that their travel plans could be thwarted by the pandemic and have only themselves to blame if they failed to take appropriate precautions. You can advise the guest that they can use the cancellation receipt for a claim on their travel insurance. Ha.

Roy712
Level 2
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

NO WAY just day light robbery its COVID should full deposit return. You took the money quick enough 

@Roy712 I suggest you read the terms carefully and get some sense of contract. COVID doesn't mean anyone is entitled for anything or owes any others. LIke @Anonymous said guests are fully aware of the risk when making the reservation. If you are not OK with the risk you can purchase travel insurance. The Airbnb EC was updated not too long ago and excluded those situations as well. 

Roy712
Level 2

No we need to do better than that these are unusually time and as a host and a owner of a letting agency I say contracts you can chance them and say all money back. To many poor host.

Based on my experience there are waaaay more poor/bad guests than poor hosts. Most hosts have been exceptionally accommodating during this unusual time even if Airbnb turned their back on us. Guests are being spoiled so much that they think they deserve everything they are asking regardless of being reasonable or not. Ridiculous.

Salut @Nanxing0 ,

I've got your back, side by side 🙌

Salut @Alison91 ,

@Emiel1 @Nanxing0 @Anonymous are absolutely right on their point.

Salut @Roy712,

" To many poor host" Sound offensive and insulting to the host and other hosts.

Besides, Alison was just asking what are the refund? She may consider the refund.

Regardless, Rudeness Doesn't Get The Pay!

I hope you are not "the guest" she mentioned.

Roy712
Level 2

Its offensive when during COVID people need every penny as there losing there job.

I will say this Airb&b should get involved but they don’t there useless and we are paying them all that money for nothing.

I will say this Salut rudeness is trying get involved where you not welcome I rather have constructive reasoning not a load of tosh.

@Roy712 Have you ever considered that hosts may have lost their jobs and also significant earnings due to lockdown? Or are they all capitalist pigs?

Roy712
Level 2

I think we are both alike a host a landlord letting business like me but I show my customers and tenants a duty of care during COVID. So I think that poor form saying your poor,,,,,,,you

a joke mate.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Roy712 I am struggling a bit with the poor spelling/grammer but I didn't say I was poor. I said that hosts MAY have lost their jobs and earnings. Anyway I look forward to your next rant.

Roy712
Level 2

not got an issue with hosts I have an issue with Airb&b there poor and lairs, sorry for my poor grammar and spelling I have problem seeing certain words