Cancelled reservation then left awful review.

Julie668
Level 2
Knoxville, TN

Cancelled reservation then left awful review.

We have a lovely 2/2 condo in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, in the heart of the Smoky Mountains,. We call  it "Mountain Dewey's" after the nickname given to me by my grandson. Our check-out time is 11:00 a.m.and  check-in time is 4 p.m. 

On September 16, Tavi from Louisiana had a reservation for 4 nights. She/they showed up and let themselves in before 11:00, while our other guests were still there. Airbnb informed me that they cancelled at 1:30. She left the following review(s), and I've included my response:

"Host never found the time to get back with us upon many attempts to contact her And for the people who are not familiar with mountain roads that should be disclosed before booking And condo on second floor no elevators"

Response from Julie:
The Airbnb site clearly states that we are on the second floor with no elevator. The written directions I sent you state that the roads are winding but not steep, and that we're located on the top of a mountain with a 3,000 ft. elevation. Furthermore, the driving instructions are shown by the tenth of each mile. You must not have read anything I sent you since you entered the condo before 11:00 a.m. That was 5 hours before your 4:00 p.m. check-in time and my other guests were still there. There is no record of you trying to contact me.

Private feedback:
"Very disappointed condo was small worn towels in bathroom give vistors a heads up how dangerous of a ride to condo and most of all you never took the time to text or call me to see what was wrong"

I realize that she came from Louisiana, but one would thing that the "Great Smoky Mountains" might have given her a clue there were mountains. I'm just sorry that I didn't have a strict cancellation policy. I also don't think Airbnb should post reviews when they didn't even stay there.

Julie Walls
1 Reply 1
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Julie668 

If a booking is cancelled on check-in day, a review can be left by the guest where they are invited to 

rate and comment on relevant experiences which you can personally speak to. It's clear to all here, that's the final airbnb word on the matter despite the many concerns.

Looking through your listing reviews, guests frequently mention the driving conditions, so perhaps take the colossal hint and embed a description into your blurb and even add a snapshot of the most white knuckling hairpin bend. It might even attract fresh onlooking thrill-seekers. 

When replying to a review, do have a look at the copious advice here on the forum archives.

It's thought best not to get into a public bun fight with the guest to get in the final word* ( unless you are a lawyer, whereby it's mandatory), but to kind of direct your reply to a potential future booker audience.

As far as the guest entering early with the keypad, obviously that needs a rethink tweak to make it omnishambles proof.

Otherwise, maybe your guest didn't think it through. Going up a mountain top then complaining there is some stairs to get to the listing, hmm.

Good luck, your place looks superbly majestic.