Cancelling a Long-Term Reservation as Guest

Samuel229
Level 1
Tacoma, WA

Cancelling a Long-Term Reservation as Guest

I am a college student who had reserved an Airbnb room for 4 months and has stayed in the room for almost 2 weeks. I have just been offered a room by a relative of mine for a very low cost, and would like to cancel my Airbnb reservation to stay at my relative's house instead. To the best of my understanding, if I were to cancel my reservation, I will have to pay for the next 30 days (but not able to stay), and after that the remaining days till my original check-out date will be fully refunded right? What would the difference be if I were to request for a change in check-out date instead? Am I still required to pay for the next 30 days after the check-out date? My host has been wonderful so far but I would save a lot more money by staying at my relative's house, even if I need to pay for those 30 days. 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Samuel229  Of course it would save you a lot of money- you say that your host has been wonderful, yet you are wanting to cancel 3 and a half months of a 4 month booking and get all your money back. So you don't care at all about the wonderful host? Do you realize your 4 month booking has blocked the host's calendar and that he/she has missed out on all the bookings they could have gotten during the time you held their calendar hostage? So you'll save money and the host will lose money. Not exactly a caring attitude.

Move to your relative's house and pay the $ to the host that you agreed to, according to the cancellation policy that you could clearly see when you booked. Or ask the host if they will agree to let you stay for the month you have to pay for anyway and move after that. At least that way they'll be able to open up their calendar and hopefully get bookings for a month from now.

Just because your circumstances change doesn't mean it's okay for other people to take a loss on your behalf.