Cancelling a booking

Answered!
Melanie467
Level 2
Lumsden, New Zealand

Cancelling a booking

Hello all

I am new to hosting but have been a traveller often.  As a traveller, I would request a booking and my credit card would be charged but the host would get back to me if they could accommodate me.  If they could not accomodate me the money would be refunded.  Were they cancelling my booking when this happenend?

Please help.  I have just posted my first listing about 2 hours ago only to have someone do an auto booking for today (and it is already 9pm!).  I was not able to accomodate him (being so late notice) so I needed to cancel the booking.  I was not able to cancel as it was on the day of the arrival??

I think I have already gone amiss on my first day!  Very confused.  I have adjusted my booking settings to not automatic now but I read that that is not ideal.

Thanks all.

Mel

1 Best Answer
Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Melanie467

Hi, my advise is to call Airbnb ASAP and try explain to them what happened.

Sorry, I don't know the airbnb NZ phone number.

Please don't cancell the booking yourself let Airbnb do it for you.

Because they will penalize you for cancelling it youself.

Hope it helps, and as @Gerry-And-Rashid0 said please take your time and read as much as 

possible on this great CC to get as much information as you possible can, how to be a great Airbnb host.

I talk from my own personal experience. I have learned so much myself and still learning!

Welcome and happy hosting!

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Melanie467

Hi - must have been stressful, all I can say is that you need to understand everything about the booking process BEFORE going live. You had instant book switched on, you accept guests at last minute (we have set our to 3 days notice), etc. Have you set a minimum and maximum number of nights?

It's all about learning the rules and ensuring you are comfortable with the bookings you receive - you can do everything from ensuring they have been verifiedd by AirBnB to taking only guests recommended by other hosts (which will severely restrict your audience). 

Thanks Gerry.  I have turned off IB (which I thought I had done in setting up the listing) as I really want to have a conversation with guests before booking.  AirBNB tells me this will reduce my bookings but I am happy to have less bookings (at least initially) but have them manageable.  Will also change setting so not accepting any last minute.  

More learning to come...

@Melanie467

I think you have done the right thing - and look at pricing in your area as you do want to get a few reviews. Most newcomers price below their competitors so that they can attract some guests - but don't go too low or you will attract the wrong type of guest. Good luck

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Melanie467

Hi, my advise is to call Airbnb ASAP and try explain to them what happened.

Sorry, I don't know the airbnb NZ phone number.

Please don't cancell the booking yourself let Airbnb do it for you.

Because they will penalize you for cancelling it youself.

Hope it helps, and as @Gerry-And-Rashid0 said please take your time and read as much as 

possible on this great CC to get as much information as you possible can, how to be a great Airbnb host.

I talk from my own personal experience. I have learned so much myself and still learning!

Welcome and happy hosting!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Melanie467.

1. You can also go to your settings and have the day before and spray after automatically set, to avoid same day check outs/ checking.  This will really reduce your stress, and sometimes you may not have enough hours for turnaround.

2. You can also in settings, choose to have 24 hour notice for a booking. This also reduces stress, but still allows guests the opportunity to send a request or enquiry.