Cancelling

Tonia1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Cancelling

We have had a major delay in our building work and are offering to cancel our bookings. The bookings are in 4-5 months time.

Should I ask the guest to cancel or will they get charged?

I don't have any documentation apart from emails from my architect.
3 Replies 3

@Tonia1  Your cancellation policy is strict  see here so if guests cancel they will only get 50% back. If you cancel there will be harsh cancellation penalties see here. This is not good for anyone.

I would advisethat you contact Airbnb and explain the situation which you can back up if neccessary with documents or mails from the architect. They will help you by finding alternative accomodation for your guests, propose that you give a full refund , minus airbnb fees and hopefully avoid the automated posting on your profile saying you cancelled a guest which is never good for people booking their holidays, especially with a host with only one review. You may get your calendar blocked but this not important as the work on the house will be going on and you will not be eligible for super host status, but this is a long way off. 

It's to everyone's benefit that Airbnb sort this out for you. You have a luxury listing in an idyllic spot which will be very popular when it's finished to the high quality you are aiming for. The photos are wonderfull and any guests are very lucky to be able to stay there. To add sugar to the pill of disappointment your guests will feel, you could offer a special discount on another stay with you at a different time.

ok, thank you. I have contacted air bnb.

@Tonia1 I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.