Cannot unblock cancelled reservation

Rose13
Level 2
Pyrmont, Australia

Cannot unblock cancelled reservation

I CANNOT UNBLOCK MY DATES after a cancelled booking. It was my first experience of the instant book facility and the rates had not been updated for Christmas '16. The bookign is marked 'cancelled by guest' but the dates are still blocked. I have searched for a couple of hours trying to get in touch with Airbnb but don't have 'enough privilages' . How do I get in touch with Airbnb to get these high season dates UNBLOCKED?  THERE must be someway to get a message through to them to try and ask for these dates to be opened as I am new to Instant book faciity and did not realise the penalty for this that the dates would be permanently blocked?

12 Replies 12
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Rose13,

There is no need to post this question in three places in this forum.  I answered you question which can be found here: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/New-to-Hosting/Unblock-my-calendar-after-a-cancelled-instant-book/m-...

You might even want to check out this Help Guide: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Search-the-Community-Function-Is-Your-Friend-A-How-T...

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Rose13

You need to call Airbnb (they also can help via Twitter)..

For a "unkown" reason the dates remain blocked if you and many times if the guest cancels the reservation...

To prevent this problem with the rate you always can block how far in advance the guest may book your house, you can change this on your calendar settings. If you don't change guests can book up to 3 years in advance.

Luis 

Hi I have tried for hours to unblock dates on my calendar. I am only tring to send a special offer to guests who are ready to make a booking. I have been told to unblock the dates, but am unable to do so.  I have tried emailing Airbnb but to no avail. Ha any one had the same problem? T

Thanks.  Caroline 

Yes I have Caroline, This is very frustrating as Airbnb stop the ability to send a 'special rate' if the client requests to book. They give misleading advice in saying to accept the booking first and then make the request for a change.  DO NOT DO THIS. Once you accept it is only up to the guest if they choose to accept or not so if the rate is lower than your special request most likely they will not accept. They you have no option but to cancel the booking nad then you're penalised and most likely have the dates BLOCKED and UNABLE to resell or unblock. I now have a week over christmas /New Year blocked out and cannot upblock. I have been sent a phonenumber for Airbnb via superhosts on this community which I am going to endeavour to call - when I have an hour to wait - and hopefully persuad them to unblock the date. The only thing you can do is write to the guest and tell them your special rate and ask them to put in a new request rather than a 'booking request' . I am not sure of the exact buttons the guest should click for this and think it is a major problem for new hosts in working the system out It is to force you to have all your rates exact so as then to force you into 'instant book' which is where they want hosts to be. I do most of my business now on Stayz rather than Airbnb as I find Airbnb far too restrictive and big brother control rather than allowing you to contact guests immediately . Airbnb does not allow you to have contact details or phone numbers prior to a confirmed booking so it is difficult to cater personally to a guest .

Good Luck.

just saw your in Ireland. This is hte link to contact (phone is best) Airbnb.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-How-To-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Phone number for Ireland Airbnb -+353 1 6971831

Ireland+353 1 697 1831
Cory13
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

Rose this happened to me too.

Air BnB this is a ridiculous occurance and you should not put the instant book on automatically!

I had a similar issue as I was learning the use of the site and without realising I activated the instant booking. I then received a booking and I cancelled it after explaining the client my issue and immediately allowing the refund.

I rang Air B&B for help on this explaining that I was still learning to use the application, that it was a first occurrence on my behalf and I requested the dates to be unblocked. On the other side of the line there was the typical unnecessary rigid and obtuse person who refused to unblock the dates.

This was an unpleasant experience and I am now left with the loss of not being able to rent the apartment for that period.

Conclusion: it is worthless ringing the help desk as they are unwilling to listen or help.

Rachel13
Level 6
Morzine, France

Yes I agree it is an unfair policy on Airbnb's part to block dates that have been cancelled when you have put your property on "instant book". Once I realised the dates were remaining blocked I took my apartment off Instant book - and I know that Airbnb do not like this, they make it pretty clear they want everyone to be on Instant book - but if they impose penalties like this what choice is there? Airbnb you need to change youir policy on this.  Many hosts in my area have actually stopped using Airbnb for this very reason.

I have the same issue, how do I unblock those dates?

@Geeke0, if you have the same situation, that means that you (the host) cancelled the reservation.

This will automatically result in the days being blocked on your calendar. There is not much you can do about it other than to plead your case to AirBnB as to why those dates should not be blocked.

If you have the slightly different situation where the guest did the cancellation and still your dates are blocked, you need to contact AirBnB directly to have them help you.

Michael1342
Level 1
Victoria, Canada

Hi everyone, 

AirBNB wants people listing their homes or income properties to 1) learn how to use their site before listing properties, 2) only offer units on days for which they are available and for prices at which they are willing to offer them, and 3) honour their commitments.

It is unfair for people looking to find a place to stay who select your unit to have you cancel on them because you wanted to charge more for certain dates than you advertised, or because your place wasn't available on those dates. It is also unfair to AirBNB because it costs them transaction fees to accept funds and refund, and because their customers end up having a bad experience. It is even unfair in some cases to other people listing on the site who listed a similar property at a higher price but are willing and able to honour their commitment - if a user who would have booked with the commited lister ends up booking with someone else at a lower price who later cancels on them, they may choose not to use AirBNB at all and the commited lister might not rent their place out.

If you realize that you charged too little for your place only after someone books it, you simply do not have the option of charging more - you either have to honour your commitment or you get nothing for those dates (and a strike against you). 

Although you might be trying to help your guests by offering a special (lower) rate, it is also a violation of your agreement with AirBNB for you to circumvent their system. They want to keep their offer and acceptance system as simple as possible.

If you list a place for less or more money than you wanted to and someone books it, your best option is to honour the commitment and adjust price structure and availability for the future.