Caring for live plants with a longer stay guest

Answered!
Laura4111
Level 3
Salt Point, NY

Caring for live plants with a longer stay guest

I have a 1st floor studio apartment that I just listed on the site. I have 4 live potted plants. They are air cleaning type and make the space look so inviting. My problem is, my 1st guest is for 9 days and I noticed they keep the blinds closed all day and night.  I understand they want privacy  but they are gone all day. One window faces a private backyard and no one would be looking in. Another has a hedge in front that offers some privacy.  How does one handle this? How do you arrange to water them? I hope they are not dead after 9 days! I did read the thread on live vs fake and I still feel strongly about real plants.

Thanks in advance

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just add it to house rules for future guests. @Laura4111 

And drop the current guest a line and explain that you'd really appreciate the blinds being left up when they leave their listing during the day, so your plants can get some sunlight and have the best chances of survival.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It might be worth investing in those self-waterers, @Laura4111 . Something pretty, or fun DIY. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ask the guest to open the blinds so plants can get some light @Laura4111 

Get a self-watering system.

So you don't think it is out of line to ask them to open the blinds? Sorry, I am still learning my boundaries, such a newbie!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just add it to house rules for future guests. @Laura4111 

And drop the current guest a line and explain that you'd really appreciate the blinds being left up when they leave their listing during the day, so your plants can get some sunlight and have the best chances of survival.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I put grow light bulbs in my lamps and then plugged it into a timer.

Those self watering apparatuses would work well for this. 

Lana15
Level 4
Cannon Rocks, South Africa

Hi all

I  can also not believe that people would not water a plant that is actually dying in front of their eyes

Or see how my pampered Palm is whipped by a salty wind.

Now I had painted  signs to ask on behalf of the plants. 

Please water me if we are sharing the house longer than 3 days 

And

Please close this door on windy days..I suffer in the  salty winds. 

Coming from the "plant "it has now started to change guests neglecting behaviour and I had a few good stays now. 

All my plants has to be pampered in the hars environment and at some places I had to resort to fake flowers because of sand and salt and wind. I adore the luscious gardens of the hosts on the forum.  Their gardens are so overflowing and happy. 

I saw fake flowers making a good show in Venice Italy and decided to make use of it in certain places. 

If I were you I would write a letter or message to your guests and ask if they would mind letting your plant have its suntherapy  to survive !

Brian1663
Level 3
New York, NY

I've had multiple 30 day stays as a guest in apartments with plants, sometimes lots!  All but one simply asked me to water the plants and I gladly accommodated them.  The other one just made an appointment to stop by and water the plants because he wanted to water them himself and I was fine with that too.  It's my opinion that it is out of line to tell a guest he or she "has" to leave the blinds open.   

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

our guests killed many of our plants either with closed blinds, too much AC, too much heating, no water.... we had to replace them with fake plants 😞

I know, right? I am soooo UPSET that my favoriate plant - is dead.! 

WHY CAN'T GUESTS KNOW HOW TO WATER A PLANT. SO STUPID. 

@Jane75 An alternate view: Why would a host be so stupid as to think all guests know how to water a particular type of plant? Some need lots of water, some little water, some direct sunlight, some no direct light. I would not even think of blaming a guest if a plant died.

I hear that... you have a point. I agree but was upset about it dying and venting in hopes someone would understand my upsetness. 

thanks for showing me that calling someone stupid doesn't feel good.

feels like bullying.

Trying to delete my comment and leave this forum. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I must water every three days, pots in garden etc. I arrange this visit with guests, if they are staying longer than that. I also change their towels  etc, discuss with guests! But yes, plants will die if unattended.