Cash Deposit

Cash Deposit

I paid a 500 euro cash deposit by hand, to the host, expecting her to pay back when she came to take the keys. She had an emergency and someone else came to take the keys from me. She said she would send me the money through wire transfer.  But she didnt and following that I asked for the money repeatedly, and she kept delaying. After a while she stopped reponding. I contacted airbnb and they didnt do anything at all to solve the situation or to penalize the host. What should I do can someone help?

2 Replies 2
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There is no cash deposit in the ABB system.

David
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Omer7 I'm sorry to say you've been scammed. It very clearly states on all Airbnb listings "Always communicate through Airbnb. To protect your payment, never transfer money or communicate outside of the Airbnb website or app." All money transfers go through Airbnb, NEVER in cash transactions between guest & host.

When the host asked you for a cash deposit, this was a huge red flag! Airbnb can't & won't be able to help you get your money back because this transaction took place outside of Airbnb.

This is really unfortunate, but there are some things you can do. 1. Flag the listing - there is a flag & "report this listing" under the Request to Book section on the host's listing. 2. Leave her a review stating exactly what happened. This will hopefully prevent others from falling into the same trap you did. 3. Contact Airbnb again, this time just for the purpose of having her removed. I'm sorry this happened to you, some hosts should not be on Airbnb. - Karen