Categories

James2743
Level 9
Norfolk, United Kingdom

Categories

I've read all of the posts and help articles but the category thing is still not very clear in my mind.

Can anyone help with specifics to get the categories correct for my property?

I'm in a National Park. It doesn't show for that category.

I'm in the countryside. It doesn't show for that category.

It is on the plot of a 6 storey windmill. It doesn't show for that category.

Also any information as to how often the algorithm sweeps the listings? Any particular words that need to be used? Particular pictures? Any sort of details as to how it functions?

Basically any sort of details above the standard release that we've had so far?

Thanks

12 Replies 12

Hi! Same issue here. I called support center and the person I talked to was not able to explain me the criteria they apply. We have a pool, the listing disappears when I filter for ‘amazing pools’, but shows when I use the regular filter and check pool in the amenities. 
Very disappointed that this change was implemented without providing the hosts clear directions on how to adjust. 

Same problem! 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @James2743 and @Ramona157

Great to see you both looking into our recently launched categories!

There's a very useful Ressource Center article that contains more info about what a listing needs to include in order to be included in a Category: https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/new-ways-for-guests-to-discover-your-listing-522 

To improve your chances of being included, make sure your list of amenities and features is complete and current, and key features of your space are clearly depicted with high-quality photography. Categories are currently updated roughly every two weeks and are curated based on where guests are located, so just because you do not show up one week, does not mean you will not show up at all! 🙂

Hope this helps, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

James2743
Level 9
Norfolk, United Kingdom

Hi Emilie

Unfortunately it's no help at all. Not blaming you but I've read this link a few times now. I've also seen it posted as a response to many hosts who are trying to get some answers. Most that have read it say it's no help either.

If you could pass it up the chain to whomever needs to know that they've made a hefty mistake with this rollout I'd be grateful.

Idea is great, implementation......Not so much.

Thanks

Agreed. Emilie continues to post the same article over and over which doesn't answer anything specifically. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@James2743 @Clay0 I'm sorry the answers you were after weren't in that article. I've passed on the feedback in the thread about Categories to the team, thanks!

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Emilie this does not seem to be a serious answer Emilie ' if you do not turn up one week , you may turn up the next"? that is a terrifying statement and basically admits that'people' are being randomly eliminated from the Airbnb site in order to 

make this bot rollout work ? Is that really the result that Airbnb were and are looking for ? Hosts jump through hoops invented for their grief as it is and have been requesting reform in the area of the way reviews work and guest Ids as well as other issues. this new categorization is 

playing favourites , not genuine guest favourites , which 

could be highlighted through guest reviews but either Brians favourites, currently apparently 'french vineyards. I have heard of kowtowing in order to curry favor but lets all get back to a professional approach here because the chaos is extremeyl upsetting and confusing . In pubs the people who drink a lot are called 'milch cows  or cash cows' . A wise publican does not upset them and I get that the big end of town must be catered for. But remember the milch cows who will desert if their businesses continue to be devastated after what they have been through after the last few years.In business you can sell out your assets 'guests in this case' if you are undermining a company from the inside. These guests are often these days new guests and are made into 'decent happy ' guests by thousands of hosts the world over. These hosts are operating the Airbnb web not a bot. the guests cannot be manipulated in this way by making the system more difficult to use and trying to divert  cash flow to the' bigger players' . If those bigger players think they somehow deserve to take guests away from the smaller players then let them replicate the smaller players instead of changing for each group . As is obvious here those bigger players are finding that they also offer different things from each other . Small players will just sit back and try and keep going by being good hosts and responsive to our own neighbourhood , H

Hi Emilie,

do you have an update on the progress to include Beachfront as a category search for Plus Program listings.

Think it it pretty important with the new focus on Category Search.

And another question - will AirBnB be considering suspension of the Superhost Qualifying requirements for hosts in Sri Lanka at this time ??

look forward to your reply.

cheers

indie beachouse 

Nicole2761
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Same issue here. Our listing is up to date with amenities and have high quality photos. We are clearly a cabin but not listed in that category. The majority of reviews comment on the high quality of design but yet not listed in that filter. We are also pet friendly and not listed. More than likely others we are missing. Basically our listing had been essentially delisted by not being included in these new filters. We are super hosts with a 90% occupancy rate. Please help.

Donald290
Level 2
Bayview, TX

We have a waterfront property—not lakefront or beach.  There is snot a category for waterfront.  Guests come to our cottage to fish and relax.  I’m not happy with this new format.

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

seriously we have things we've never heard of before but no "mid-century"? i'm forced to choose house/home. very interesting. that should get lots of attention-not. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Dawn241 @Donald290 Thank you for the suggestions of additional Categories, I've let the team know! 

@Indie0 I do not have any update on either at this time I'm afraid. In regards to the Superhost Status, if you have specific questions on your situation I'd suggest getting in touch with the Support teams who will be able to look more closely at what's happening and what solution can be found. 🙂

-----