Ceiling Leak Morning before Check Out

Elizabeth665
Level 1
Waterloo, Canada

Ceiling Leak Morning before Check Out

Hello Airbnb Community!

I have been going back and forth with AIrbnb Resolution Centre - but I wanted to know if this would be a good case for either a refund and/or credit. 

I rented this mansion on December 30th for $2500. 

After check out -the host tries to charge me $1500 for the leak / problem with door handle. I refused it and then she tried to charge me $1000 - and had Airbnb contact me. Of course after I sent Airbnb all the screenshots / photos / video of the leak - the closed the case and I didn't have to pay. 

I have booked the Shangri-la before for $800 / night and when there was a leak in the morning - they refunded me 50 % and invited to come back another time (excellent customer service!). 

This Airbnb was $2500 and not once did I receive an apology for the suffering / headache we had to deal with in the morning. 

This is what I sent to Airbnb when they requested $1000 from me: 

"If you go into my conversations with E____(owner) on Airbnb on Dec. 30, you would be able to see that I was having trouble with the door / could not get in and even called E____ but it goes straight to voicemail. That week / day had extreme cold weather alerts and it was frigid cold out side. The door knob felt frozen already. My friend and I were stuck outside in negative 30 degrees because the door knob felt frozen and we could not get in. NOT a great experience at all.

The last time they had someone rent the place before me was December 21 and 22nd. Meaning that the last time the place was cleaned must have been Dec. 23rd. They have 2 Chinese couples who look after the place - we met them 11:03 am when we were finishing cleaning up and they told my friend who explained everything in Cantonese - that the mansion is old / 20 years old.

We tried to call / message E_____ when the leak happened and of course again she didn't reply till  a lot later / when we were out of the house to say that they had fixed it last time.

Prior to me checking in, E______ asked to charge me an additional $200 OUTSIDE of airbnb for the amount of people I was having (40). I told her BEFORE I even booked that we were having that many people attend and they let me book. I feel like they have been trying to make extra money off of me ever since I booked the Mansion.

I will attach screenshots and a video of the leak. Please do keep in mind that she told me they had fixed it last time, but if it happened before (the leak) it could easily happen again the exact same spot.

I should not be liable for their maintenance fees.

I will also attach images of us bringing out all bags of garbages, boxes of bottles and  cleaning up before we checked out. Another thing is - we could have easily left the place when it was leaking, but we didn't - we helped to fill the buckets with dirty water and dump them out as well. They have 5 bathrooms, and my friend used the shared bathtub upstairs above the kitchen . Her previous guests might not have used that specific bathtub since there are so many in the house. If they had, it would have leaked as well. Had my friend not put toilet paper in attempt to stop the leak,, it could have continued to leak and there is a split in the ceiling of the kitchen where the leak was happening .... imagine the bathtub falling from the kitchen ceiling - THAT would have been a disaster. If anything - E____ should be thanking us for helping and finding out that they had not completely ''FIXED'' the leak situation properly last time."

After Airbnb said the case was CLOSED, I responded: 

"

Thanks for reviewing the documentation - videos / screenshots / photos and assisting with this case. 

However, I am still upset at the fact that there was a major leak / flood from ceilings DURING our stay in the morning - that my friends and I had to deal with for two hours - because the host was unresponsive. 

I paid $2500 for the night and even a 5 star hotel would at least issue a credit or another free night for this annoyance / suffering for their guests. 

Again 
1)  we were locked out for 20+ minutes during check in because of the lock issue - this was during below freezing temperatures and cold weather alerts were issued that day/week. 

2) Host never told us about the leak that was "fixed" in the ceiling from one of the 5 bathrooms / bathtubs in the mansion until after the leak happened. 
It was A LOT of work and ruined our morning since this was not even our issue to begin with. Sweeping / mopping floors / filling up buckets of nasty bathroom/tub water / trying to stop the leak in the ceiling. 

This was DANGEROUS since there was a split in the ceiling and had we not tried to stop the water from leaking down to the kitchen even more - the split in the ceiling could have opened up even more in this 20 year old mansion and we could have gotten hurt from things falling from the ceiling (imagine - bathtub right above / where the leak / flood was coming from)

I am not asking for a refund - but I would like a REALLY nice Airbnb Credit ( I LOVE Airbnb - and have been renting places for several years ). 

It really is unfair that we had to deal with this disaster in the morning - again - WE ARE GUESTS and not a cleaning team /service. 

Here is the Youtube Video one more time in case you need to see it again : 

VIDEO FROM THE LEAK : 

https://youtu.be/7rLKKW7vPu0

I hate to be a pain - but I have been dealing with this issue for 2 months I just wanted to know if there was a major leak in the ceiling that was not our fault - should I atleast be getting some sort of credit for this? 

Thanks in advance Airbnb Community!! 

-Elizabeth

I always make sure we take out our own trash even with hefty cleaning fee ! We wipe down counters / empty bottles / take out bottles with boxes that we bring ourselves, clean the floors. I am getting really good at this  - perhaps I should start my own cleaning service haha!I always make sure we take out our own trash even with hefty cleaning fee ! We wipe down counters / empty bottles / take out bottles with boxes that we bring ourselves, clean the floors. I am getting really good at this - perhaps I should start my own cleaning service haha!Collecting / emptying out buckets of bathtub / toilet water from one of the 5 bathroomsCollecting / emptying out buckets of bathtub / toilet water from one of the 5 bathroomsWe were filling up the water from the leak with anything we could find at the time.We were filling up the water from the leak with anything we could find at the time.Started leaking from the lightsStarted leaking from the lightsLittle hard to tell - but it was leaking from the vents tooLittle hard to tell - but it was leaking from the vents tooEven with cleaning fee - I always like to make sure the garbage is taken out - and I even bring my own cleaning supplies (Lysol Wipes, Garbage Bags, paper towels etc) before we leave!Even with cleaning fee - I always like to make sure the garbage is taken out - and I even bring my own cleaning supplies (Lysol Wipes, Garbage Bags, paper towels etc) before we leave!Screenshot_2018-03-01-09-39-38.pngimageedit_8_4375214312.jpgI

0 Replies 0