Challenges of hosting from a previous user?

Answered!
Lyndall5
Level 2
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Challenges of hosting from a previous user?

Sorry to ask, not trying to earn millions... (Go on, Laugh... ) But have given up trying to find a lodger.. That won't cost me a £10,000 fine, what am I missing?

1 Best Answer

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/9997...

@Lyndall5 Try the link above and/or research the rules on gov.uk.

You should also read the code of practice on discrimination if you are planning to instigate the checks required.

Are you renting long term? Holiday accommodation (seems to be defined as less than 3 months seems to not need these checks.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lyndall5 why would you get  a £10,000 fine?

Lyndall5
Level 2

I have just started hosting, after using Air bnb on and off for a few years. An acquaintance let their annex to a gentleman contracted to work away from his UK home for a few months. After 6 weeks, he received notifiction from immigration and customs, that the guest was not legally in the UK and he got a £10,000 fine! I did not think this applied to temporary guests?

Does anyone on here know what the rules on this are in the UK Please?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/9997...

@Lyndall5 Try the link above and/or research the rules on gov.uk.

You should also read the code of practice on discrimination if you are planning to instigate the checks required.

Are you renting long term? Holiday accommodation (seems to be defined as less than 3 months seems to not need these checks.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lyndall5  Your post makes no sense to anyone but you. If you want some help here, you have to actually explain what you're talking about.

Lyndall5
Level 2

My apologies, I am new to this and kept running out of text on the question. Urgh! Please see above, Thanks, Lyn

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sounds like your friend had a standard let and didn't carry out checks to make sure they had the right to rent in the UK.

That doesn't apply to STRs

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen3  I think @Lyndall5 is looking for a lodger so, as this might be their only home, the right to rent checks could apply. Quite why her friend got fined is unclear if the person renting the annex had another home in the UK but perhaps the person lied.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Lyndall5 

Maybe the guest had used the host's address on work forms, to open a bank account, on immigration forms, etc?

Lyndall5
Level 2

Thanks everyone for your help, am all over this now.. But my 1st guest has gone awry.. Not a great start, but am determined to make this work...:)

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In what  way has your first guest gone 'awry'