Change Reservation after Check-in

Spencer8
Level 2
New York, NY

Change Reservation after Check-in

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how my cancelation policy applies to my situation. My cacelation policy for this reservation is Moderate. On the day they were suppose to check-in, they send me a request to change their check out date to two days earlier.  The new reservations request reflected the adjusted price for the actual nights that they are staying but doesn't include the 50% charge for the last two nights. I accepted their request but don't understand how the cancelation policy with come into play. Will that be charged seprately? Do I have to request that through the resolution center myself?

Thanks for your help!

6 Replies 6
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Spencer8

It's because they didn't cancel. They altered the reservation which is not the same thing on Airbnb.

Some guests have found this loophole to get out of paying the extra expenses.

Would it be appropriate to ask them to pay the 50% for the nights canceled in the Resolution Center since that is what my cancelation policy states? It seemed strange to me that Airbnb would allow them to request to alter their reservation after the check in time on their first night. Thanks for your help!
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Spencer8

If I understand it right, they were smart and didn't cancel. They changed the reservation which is possible before and during their stay. By accepting the change you agreed to it, so instead of a cancellation (even though in theory that is what they worked around). it is now technically a new contractual basis because you agreed to it. Payment will be made according to this new agreement and there is no basis for you to demand a refund.

This is what I have come to learn from multiple postings on the same topic. Of course, contacting Airbnb directly wil tell you for sure.

It doesn't seem fair to be able to circumvent the cancellation policy, yet it's a loop hole that clever guests have discovered, and there's nothing in the Airbnb clauses to prevent it.

It's always up to the host how to decide to handle such ammendments - accept the change or don't accept and open the door to retaliation.

You do also have some  maneuvering space.

If for example you have a minimum booking of 2 days, but gave a guest a reduction for staying a full 14 days bringing the daily fee down from let's say $60 to $55, then that is an agreement on the basis of staying longer.

If they then send an alteration bringing it down to less than that period at $55 you could decline it and send an alteration from your side for the desired number of days at the normal price of $60 (plus of course any cleaning fee you might have) for them to accept.

I've also heard of guests trying to get around the minimum booking days this way by booking the minimum and then using a reason to ask the host to reduce to under the minimum.

If a guest for ex. booked my minimum of 2 days and then asked to change to only 1 day due to whatever reason, then that wouldn't be possible because my price calculation and day minimum being based on amount of work. Or I'd send them an ammendment to 1 night  but for the price of 2. In order to do this I'd override the listing setting and change it to 1 night minimum until after the ammendment is sent off, then quickly change back to two.)

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I forgot to mention that you have to enter the total amount yourself when changing the reservation if the price given by the software is not the right one.

Thank your for your through answers.

In my case, I had messaged her that if she changed her reservation that I would be charging her for the cancelled nights at 50% before I accepted her change request. Since I am new to hosting, I had never delt with how the cancelation policy would work on Airbnb's side and just wanted to make it clear. I am going to request the funds through the Resolution Center because the cancelation policy is there to protect me from this very case, in which it did not. I feel the Airbnb software should have reccognized that this 'change' was within the 5 day cancelation period and given me the option to enforce my policy.

I see what you mean about always having the abilty to set the final price before agreeing. Thanks for the tip!

Hi there, how did you get on with this? I'm in a similar situation although haven't accepted the change yet.