Change a date cancelation policy should be updated, to better protect hosts

Carol6223
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

Change a date cancelation policy should be updated, to better protect hosts

I am unhappy that hosts are not safe from the change date requests close to a visitors check in, to avoid cancelation, this is a  scam many guests are employing- rain in UK means, I have had 2 in the last week- I do not think this should be an option and it should be a 100 per cent stricter.

If a guest then cancels their next visit, the original cancelation should  hang over them and they be charged some sort of a penalty, if they then cancel the next date, to ensure this stops, this is a known way by guests, to get round air bnb policy and  should not be allowed. 

I think if a guest tries to change their date and you refuse ,they are obviously going to blemish your reviews, with a bad one and the ability to leave a review, should be taken from any guest, who tries to change their dates after cancelation time and is refused this request, to protect hosts.

Also, I think the question, of 'can I change my reservation' should be to air bnb and not the host as if we say no we have a potential angry client in our home and this is a frightening prospect and so we are bullied by guests to accept their policy, this option to change a date through fear... 

Any hosts, who are expieriencing the 'change of date' to enable guests to get  round your cancelation policy, do please let airbnb know, that  you would like the policy changed. As they will only adapt if we as hosts, make them very aware of our displeasure, at this loophole.

2 Replies 2
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Carol6223 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-requested-to-change-reservation-dates-and-then-can...

This has been being discussed since 2016 so you can conclude that the company believes this is satisfactory.

Scott1450
Level 2
Silver Spring, MD

It just happened to me. Both AirBNB and I lost money due to this person manipulating the system. There should be a policy tied to the original booking dates that protects the host. Perhaps I should be so nice.