Change dates to one night instead of cancel

Lucy282
Level 1
Western Australia, Australia

Change dates to one night instead of cancel

I have a strict cancellation policy. My next guests have decided to reduce their booking at short notice from 1 week to 1 night. Because it isn’t a cancellation and just a change Airbnb will refund the majority of the booking, whereas if they cancelled they wouldn’t refund any to the guests. I can’t really decline the change request, but if I don’t I will be considerably out of pocket and unlikely to be rebooked at short notice. Is there another way?

6 Replies 6
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Lucy282 I don't understand why you can't decline the alteration request, its not like a reservation request with penalties.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I thought you could decline, why do you think you can't?

Edit. I have in the past and said that my minium is three nights. 

Lucy282
Level 1
Western Australia, Australia

They do still want to stay for one night!

@Lucy282  I'd be extremely surprised if they actually came to stay one night. I still think they are trying to get around your cancellation policy and only paying for 1 day as opposed to 7.

@Lucy282, I agree with @Letti0.

I think this is just a ploy to save money on the cancellation.

Decline the reservation change.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Lucy282  Absolutely DECLINE this is a scam guests use to get refunds. Do NOT let them get away with it. This is becoming more and more frequent. Changing the date out to past moderate policy and then canceling. Changing the time from a week to 1 day to get around a strict policy. Don't do it.