Changes to AirBnB strict cancelation policy hurts hosts

Marilyn374
Level 2
Southold, NY

Changes to AirBnB strict cancelation policy hurts hosts

I manage 6 rental properties for local homeowners and own a bed and breakfast Inn which I am currently advertising on AirBnB as a single unit, because being located in New York, no one is coming to my BnB to socialize and eat breakfast with total strangers. However, due to the number or people needing to escape their small apartments with children having to home school and parents working from home my rentals have been almost entirely booked since mid March and continue to be solidly booked through the summer. My town recently introduced a two week minimum rental for private homes, so I cannot afford  to lose a rental last minute.

I have always maintained a super strict cancelation policy and opted for the pre payment plan ( based on my cancelation policy)  for which I was willing to pay an additional percentage . Having a strict cancelation policy never affected my rate of bookings ( I don't think the guests read the small print).

I just found out though that Air BnB is no longer honoring my super strict cancelation policy, and are not paying me until 24 hours after check in, even for reservations in July and August. Which means I have no cash flow and no protection from last minute cancelation. My question is, why doesn't Air BnB offer travel protection insurance to their renters through a company like CSA so that I am protected as well as Air BnB?  It makes no sense for me to accept any bookings through AirBnb under their current policy. Home Away is still honoring my strict and super strict cancelation policies and advance payment. I will be booking through them

1 Reply 1
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Marilyn374, I was wondering if you've seen the recent updates published by Airnbnb? https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/250m-to-support-hosts-impacted-by-cancellations-1...

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen