Changing credit cards midway through a long term booking

Jeff89
Level 7
Sydney, Australia

Changing credit cards midway through a long term booking

Hi,

I've read conflicting posts whether an alternate credit card can be used when partially through a long term existing booking or whether a booking needs to be cancelled and re-booked, incurring additional ABNB fees?   We have changed our default credit card (that was already on file with ABNB) and tried to delete the former credit card as a payment method as the card needed to be cancelled by our bank to prevent future use due to fraudulant activity on the card, but the ABNB payment method does not allow deleting the card due to pending transactions against it.  Our monthly rent isnt due for a few weeks.

Some posts suggest cancelling the booking and re-booking the accomodation.   Other posts suggest just changing the default card. (https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1372/can-i-change-my-payment-method-for-a-confirmed-reservation)...

Obviously we dont want to default on our rent payment nor shoud we need to re-book the accomodation.  Will the next rental billing be automatically charged to our newly designated credit card without us having to do anything more than designate that card as the default payment method? 

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

3 Replies 3
Jeff89
Level 7
Sydney, Australia

This can only be done by phoning ABNB and asking them to change all future billings.   Changing default credit card will not automatically change the remainder of the billings to the new card.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jeff89,

Good to see you posting here. Thanks for the update on updating a credit card during a booking, I am sure this will be helpful to other guests. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jeff,

Does this also apply to existing one time bookings...ie not a long term booking.....My booking is in 4 months and I phoned ABNB and they said that they couldn't update my booking with my new default credit card.....This means if I cancel or the host cancels, they'll attempt to refund to my cancelled credit card. This will fail and I'd then have to chase them to get a refund via an alternate method.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it unless there is a cancellation.

Thanks,

Brian.