Changing the listing currency

Answered!
Mike133
Level 2
Alicante, Spain

Changing the listing currency

I want to change the currency that my listing is in from UKPounds to Euros. Yes it is easy to do but I am concerned about the impact it might have on existing bookings. Does anyone know if the existing bookings are protected when making the change.

1 Best Answer

I am hoping that your last sentence reflects what happens. I think it does but have been unable to find anything in the Airbnb documentation that confirms it. Many thanks for responding

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

As far as I am aware all existing bookings will be handled by all the parameters that were in effect at the time of booking. Any changes you make wiil only affect new bookings.

I am hoping that your last sentence reflects what happens. I think it does but have been unable to find anything in the Airbnb documentation that confirms it. Many thanks for responding

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Mike133 When you change your currency selection on your dashboard, it changes the currency that you see on your listing and any listing you look at.  It doesn't mean that you will be paid in that currency.  The payout preference you select determines the currency.  So if your Spanish payout account, for example, deals in Euros, that's the currency that will be paid to you.

Hi Clare, many thanks for the response, I am aware of the banking rules and processes but I was more concerned with the affect on the existing bookings and not the actual payment to my accounts. I have one listing that is already in Euros and is the most appropriate currency for it. Another listing is in UK £ but because of recent turmoil on the currency markets we want to change this to a Euro listing but without impacting the existing bookings. I think they are set in stone but have no reference that states this. I am going ahead with the change and keep my fingers crossed.

@Mike133  What a guest sees as a price for a reservation is dependant on the currency selection the guest has made on their dashboard. The currency that the guest pays is controlled by their payment method.  For example, if I were to pay for a reservation at your listing, I pay in USD since my credit card is based in the US and my bank deals with USD.  I may be charged a currency conversion fee to convert to Euros.

Here's a help guide that explains: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/95/can-i-pay-with-any-currency

Existing reservations have already been paid for based on the guest's payment method.  If their payment method is in Euros, then they have paid in  Euros.  If their payment method was in Mexican Pesos, then Airbnb will charge a conversion fee to Euros. 

Hope this helps your understanding of how it works. 

I am having some trouble with special offers. My listing is in MXN pesos but my payout is in USD. Should I send a special offer in MXN pesos or USD? Many thanks!
Blago0
Level 1
Ohrid, Macedonia

Can anyone tell me how to instruct Airbnb to do the payment to an other bank acount?

@Blago0 Go to your Dashboard and under your Profile picture select Account Settings then select Payout Preferences.  You will be able to add a new payout method there.  Don't delete your current payout method until the new account has been verfied by Airbnb.  They do this by sending a small deposit to make sure all is processed correctly.  This may take up to 5 business days.  Once the new account has been verified, the status will show as Ready.  When that happens you can delete your old account. 

Here's more information: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/54/how-do-i-add-or-change-my-payout-method

Hope this helps!  Clare

Brenda35
Level 2
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

I have just changed the pricing from SAR to $ to see what the guest is claiming. She is stating that when she started the booking process the price per night was $10 Less than the final amount given by AIRBNB. Why the difference?

Also now I cannot change it back to SAR. Help!!

Brenda35
Level 2
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

I have not changed the currency on my dashboard. I changed the currency under the price setting. It was ZAR and I changed it to Dollars and now no matter how mant times I have chosen ZAR it will not change back again. I have even rebooted the computer. Still reads $ and I want it back to ZAR

oh yeah, when I try to make a post the website gives an error code, how sweet is that?
The problem of mine is that I give the euro as a prefereed currency when I connected to my danish card. Guess what? it takes the money as hungarian forint. Then I guess it cnverts it to euro Charging me for both conversion. How can it be solved?

Eilish--Elizabeth-0
Level 2
Belfast, United Kingdom

This is for Claire in Templeton CA as I’m sooo impressed with ur answers. On my site the currency shud appear in Sterling as I’m in Norn Iron ( Northern Ireland) but instead it appears in some foreign currency which doesn’t affect people coming here but it affects me trying to book anywhere in d world as I hav no clue of the cost. I don’t even know what kind of currency a P with two lines through it is!!?!?. Thanks in anticipation Eilish

Hi @Eilish--Elizabeth-0 Thank you for your kind words!  The P with two lines through it is Phillipine pesos!

When searching for a place to stay you can change the currency to Sterling by: 

- On a Mac or PC laptop, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page of the listing where you will see a language and currency preference.  You can select Pound Sterling. 

- If you are using Airbnb's app, switch to Travelling on your profile icon. Then click on your Profile and go to Settings.  There you can change the currency setting to Pound Sterling. 

In the future, use the @ sign in front of my name so I will get an email telling me you are contacting me. I just accidentally saw this message.  🙂

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you encounter any problems!

Michael4698
Level 1
England, GB

I have been charged for a forthcoming stay in Euroland in £ despite setting AirBNB to display prices in Euro. AirBNB have charged me a conversion fee of 3%.

My card company makes no conversion charge and offers favorable exchange rates hence my choice of Euro. The reponse I have from support indicates it's some sort of technical error. I am sceptical.