Charge of Security Deposit

Answered!
Ben175
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Charge of Security Deposit

Hello, 

I am a new user to Airbnb and I was wondering how the security deposit charge works. 

Having read this forum and others online, there seems to be contradictory messages. When booking, does Airbnb take the security deposit from my card, as a charge, and hold this until after I've checked out, and then transfer the money back to me?

Or, alternatively, do Airbnb put a hold on this money, and following any successfu claim, take the amount of the claim? Meaning no money is actually taken from my card.

Thanks for your help!

1 Best Answer
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Ben175 The security deposit is not collected or held in any way. If there is damage and the host submits a claim, it goes through the Resolution Centre and a guest would submit payment for any damages that way. Completely separate from the original booking transaction & payment. Hope that helps! -Karen

View Best Answer in original post

30 Replies 30

You don't have any assurance that you will be able to collect on the security deposit when you rent through Airbnb, no matter what amount you list, because Airbnb doesn't hold any security deposit from guests. It is only there as a "you could be charged this amount", but is actually not a security deposit at all. 

If a guest causes damage, you have to first request the guest to pay, and if they refuse, or deny that they caused the damage, then you have to try to get Airbnb to pay you. Which is usually like pulling teeth, can take months, and you may not get anything in the end, anyway.

You need to have your own private str insurance to cover yourself for guest damages.

@Shendra2