Charged By Airbnb Because Toilet Paper Clogged The Toilet

Charged By Airbnb Because Toilet Paper Clogged The Toilet

In our previous trip, the toilet was clogged during our stay. The host called in a plumber, who determined that it was the toilet paper that clogged the toilet. The host tried to charge us for the payment for to unclog the toilet, and involved Airbnb to arbitrate. 

Airbnb later determined that we should pay for cost to unclog. This made us feel pretty unfair, given that we still do NOT think we did anything wrong as:

- the clog was caused by the toilet paper (suggested by the host)

- throwing toilet paper into the toilet is NOT an improper use of the toilet

This appears to us more of a maintenance issue, and we do not really understand why we should be responsible for this.

Does anyone run into similar issue or could shed more light on this?

23 Replies 23

Actually, they did not directly charge me.

Instead, they dropped me email saying that they believe the host should be reimbursed, and asked me to pay within 24 hours. I am not sure what would happen if I refuse to pay though.

@Lingnan0  Airbnb would probably ban you and you would not be able to use it anymore. There was a post about it recently written by a guest

@Emilia42 Airbnb charged a guest for me in a dispute earlier this year. I know because the (angry) guest then filed a counter-claim against me, which was denied.

@Lisa723 Wow. I just figured that if it was common practice then I would eventually see many posts/blogging/news articles from angry guests who are charged for disputed claims. I have never heard a whisper of it.

@Emilia42 yep that guest was pretty mad. It was too late for them to retaliate with their (five-star) Airbnb review so they found us on Facebook and Google and left retaliatory reviews there. In other cases it has not been clear to me whether Airbnb paid or charged the guest.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lingnan0 

A host in a region with where sanitary devices like a flushable toilet are common (like a host in the US) should provide a toilet which can handle where it is designed for. Toiletpaper will not clog it in a way a plumber is needed to solve the issue. So i suggest to dispute the claim !

And do not forget to mention the issue in the review, so next guest are warned.

Too much of anything can clog a toilet. Even toilet paper. Your statement that toilet paper will not clog a toilet has no basis in reality. I have had guests use a half roll in one flush and of course it clogged the line. Adults are expected to behave in a manner consistent with their level of presumed maturity. An Airbnb is not a hotel, it is, in our case, a home. Be a considerate guest and don't flush adult diapers, cloth wipes or "half a roll of toilet paper" down the toilet.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lingnan0 I would definitely dispute this. Unless they found  something really big an obvious in the line like a large object being flushed (a diaper, a toy, clothing) it's generally very difficult to pinpoint who caused a clog. Most clog issues are generally cumulative: people flush all kinds of stuff they shouldn't day after day, and there is a potential for buildup. Wipes, waste food and sanitary products are common culprits. I would ask for a review. If it was really just normal use of toilet paper I don't think you should be paying for the plumber. 

I’ll be the outlier. If you had a number of people sharing one bathroom then likely someone used too much toilet paper per flush, or flushed something that shouldn’t be flushed. Even so I’m surprised they billed you for this one occurrence. I wouldn’t unless the plumber found foreign objects or feminine products.